? about knit only pattern

The catch-all forum for sewing questions and discussion.

? about knit only pattern

New postby Mom of Six on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:44 pm

This is the pattern my Daughter chose for her wedding dress.

http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8571-p ... age_id=856
As you can see she isn't a frilly kind of person. She wants it out of Casa Satin. we bought the fabric tonight & also some to make an extra dress as a muslin in a similar fabric that is brown with White polka dots. The pattern says for stretch only. I thought adding a zipper would make it work. do you think a side zipper would do it? I really don't like the idea of a zipper up the back of her wedding dress. Total cost for the fabric was less than $15. I got the fabric for hers, her maid of honor & both DGDs plus fabric for the Muslin dress & her viel & Viels for DGDs (because they want them & her fiance said what ever they want they get..... within reason) The whole bill was less than $80.

Then we went to hobby lobby & she found a hanging basket on sale for her "card box" & a decorative table top bird bath for her cake stand. She is going to have her Dad cut a board to go in the center so it will be flat & we will probably spray seal the whole thing because it says not food safe. They are decorating in an outdoor/ woodsy/ natural theme Table cloths are going to either be muslin or craft paper probably the later because of cost with the muslin on the head table & decorations will be a lot of twigs & pine cones with holly branches mixed in. Their colors are brown & old fashioned christmas red
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

Re: ? about knit only pattern

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:18 pm

Barb, you need a fabric with a 2 way stretch or the dress will not fit correctly. It is meant to stretch across the bust with small folds & then flow out to the skirt. You will probably have to cut the bust larger to make up for the fact that the fabric will not stretch as it is supposed to do so. I think that you would have better luck with a stretch satin like Debutante Satin that is for bridal wear. It is sold at Vogue Fabrics for $9.99 yd plus $6 for shipping. Just my opinion but I don't think what you bought will work for this pattern because it doesn't have the stretch factor.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Mom of Six on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:57 pm

Marty I have used other stretch knit only patterns with a non stretch fabric before & made them work. This pattern is almost identical to the dresses she tried on at the bridal shops & they were not made of stretch knit. I am going to try it on a different similar fabric first. The other dresses I think had the back zipper & I am trying to avoid that with a side zipper.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby sewingmom on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:16 pm

The pants I just made Chloe are not of stretch fabric but i used a stretch fabric only pattern. I believe it would have worked better in a stretch fabric but sidn't see that on the pattern before we bought the fabric. To compensate, I cut them on the bias. It worked pretty well but the pants get shorter as she wears them.
I think the side ziper should help and if you could cut just the bodice front and back on the bias, you might have a winner.
sewingmom

New postby bridesmom on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:22 am

Barb, I'm with Marty on this one, but since you are doing a mock up you have the opportunity to do some adjusting. A side invisible zipper would be ok, but it's the bodice I'm thinking may not quite lay how you want it.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby Mule on Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:53 pm

I agree with Marty and would choose a stretch satin, or some other woven fabric with stretch added if you want the look of woven fabric. It's not just a matter of getting into the dress; the overall fit is made for a fabric that stretches. Definitely do a muslin to check the fit and see what adjustments are needed ahead of time so you don't ruin your fabric.

Also, re: the invisible zipper. Look at the side seams and see how much curve there is to them. The reason many garments have the invisible zip in the back is because it's often a straighter seam and the zip is harder to install properly on a curved seam.
Beth
Mule

Return to General Sewing