how to make your pattern pieces last longer

The catch-all forum for sewing questions and discussion.

how to make your pattern pieces last longer

New postby sewhappyrtr on Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:55 pm

Hello, are you like me.. use one pattern over and over again. I wondered how some people would make the tissue pattern pieces last longer. I just use scotch tape esp. on the lines where I make my marks for darts, pockets, etc. Is there any easier way to make the tissue last longer? thanks
Karen V. :?: :?: :?:
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

Re: how to make your pattern pieces last longer

New postby lendube on Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:45 pm

Some people make permanent patterns out of a number of things, muslin, interfacing are just a couple of ideas. Interfacing, the cheapest kind, is good because you can just trace.

Nice to see you again. You need to stop by more often, Karen.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:49 pm

For patterns that I think I might want to alter or make more than once, I trace them onto butcher paper. That way if I need to use a different size, too, the original pattern is preserved. It's kind of a pain, though. I've heard of fusing interfacing to the back of your pattern pieces to make them last longer, but I haven't tried it.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:05 pm

Karen,
I bought a roll of that sewer cloth from Lowes.. I got the 24 inch wide roll.. (it comes in 18,24, and 36 inches wide rolls, all 300 feet long) for $18.00 It will last me for the rest of my life, I'm sure.. I trace the patterns I plan to use over and over on this.. It is very similar to the lightweight interfacing.. I have tested and stitched the pieces together before for fitting purposes.. I like that better than doing a muslin, because when I change any part for the fit, then I'm ready to use it as a pattern again as soon as I pull out the basting threadsand mark any changes I made.. (I also mark the original pattern , so I won't forget)
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby PaulineG on Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:09 pm

I nearly always trace my patterns off - most of my favourites are either Kwik Sew or patterns I've traced off an existing garment or mixed and matched from a couple of different patterns.

I do have a few paper ones that I got already cut out (from the thrift shop) and I think the interfacing behaves a lot more nicely than paper anyway.
Pauline
PaulineG

New postby Joni Lowe on Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:06 pm

I use the end cuts of newspaper stock. Tracing the original pattern using a sharpie marking pen works very well. Especially when using multiple sized patterns. The paper was free from our local small town newspaper. You can then save the original for future tracings. Just a thought, JONI
Joni Lowe

New postby DorothyL on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:33 am

All this tracing and ironing onto interfacing (my favorite since it would be easier on the back) is all well and good for some of the more expensive smaller brands I guess.
But 99 percent of my patterns are the big four and I use them until they are wearing out -- that is many, many uses -- and hit one of those 99 cent sales.
If they no longer make a favorite style then it is too out of fashion to keep using anyway and I move on.
For those I cut in different sizes -- I have more than one. I have a three copies of one man's shirt pattern -- one for my husband, one for my son-in-law, and one for my other daughter's boy friend. Cost me three dollars total and worth every cent.
Even my time is worth more than that.
DorothyL

New postby bridesmom on Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:53 am

I use a tracer's paper, which is like a very lightweight interfacing. Because I make so many clothes for the GK's, I just trace out the size I need, label it all and I have a permanent copy. And with the Ottobre patterns (and now the Jalie) that I use I just fold them up with the original pattern in a clear ziplock bag slightly larger, to hold the extra bulk. And the patterns that I alter are cut out of the same paper, once the altering is complete. I buy it on sale in large quantities, then roll it onto Xmas paper rolls to store it flat.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby kaitlinnegan on Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:27 am

Good point Dorothy! I have so many patterns I want to try, it's probably not worth tracing most of them. I've found that the tissue patterns are kind of difficult to work with when it comes to transferring alterations..the slashing and spreading and adding little bits to edges is a PITA when the tissue wants to fly all over the place -- how do you handle that?

Libby, thanks for mentioning the sewers cloth -- we don't have a Lowe's but I'll have to check if Home Depot or anywhere around here has it. It sounds like it is probably more transparent than the butcher paper, which can be difficult to trace through if it's not in bright sunlight.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Sews4kate on Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:37 am

I usually trace onto tissue paper then if I liked the pattern and think I'll use it again, I then fuse it to freezer paper. It's been great! I may try to use interfacing next time.
Wendy
Sews4kate

Next

Return to General Sewing