While we're at it...how about pintuck tips?

The catch-all forum for sewing questions and discussion.

While we're at it...how about pintuck tips?

New postby lendube on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:32 pm

For the same top as the elastic thread I'll be doing pintucks. Never done those before and needless to say I haven't got a pintuck foot. Any suggestions? TIA
Last edited by lendube on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: While we're at it...how about pin tuck tips?

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:39 pm

A pintuck foot makes it so much easier. However, without one, you can make pintucks by marking a straight line where you want the tuck to go. Using a twin needle, fold on the line & stitch straight down. Use the width of your presser foot to determine where you want to place the next pintuck. Here's a You Tube video which explains. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC0RagKXLnY
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: While we're at it...how about pintuck tips?

New postby lendube on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks, Marty. Never used a twin needle either.............. :? :eh:
Lennie

lendube

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:24 pm

Twin needles are easy to use. Just remember to unwind the thread for each needle in a different direction so that they do not become intertwined. I'm a foot junkie & try to buy all feet for my different machines. I also love the effect of using a wing needle as well as a twin needle. I play with them a lot when trying out techniques.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingmom on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:52 pm

When i made pintucks before i drew the lines like Marty and folded along the lines and stitched a scant 1/8 inch from the folded edge, using a single needle. ' looked pretty good but tucks weren't tiny. I'll have to try the twin needle method. Marty is always the "go to person for technique info".
sewingmom

New postby bridesmom on Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:06 pm

I bought a book on Heirloom Sewing from a local woman who does beautiful work, and she also does some of her pintucks using a decorative stitch that goes over the edge (like a serge stitch) which can also be very pretty. I bought the book with so many great plans, and have opened it once!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby Mule on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:03 pm

lendube wrote:I haven't got a pintuck foot. Any suggestions?

Yes, get one! The right feet make things like this so much easier! I have both a regular and a deep groove pintuck foot for my machine.

You might need to loosen the pressure on your presser foot a little bit. And the higher your thread tension, the more pronounced the pintuck will be. You can also change the look of the tuck by using a heavier-weight thread in the bobbin. Try some samples first to see what works best for your machine and the look you're trying to achieve.
Beth
Mule

New postby Shellymoon on Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:10 pm

There are a lot of Martha Pullen's tutorials on Youtube. Her tutorials (mostly from her old TV show) are really good. Check them out.
Shelly Moon
Shellymoon

New postby lendube on Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:32 pm

I'm a little hesitant to buy any new feet for my machine. It's still running great but is getting on and I'm reading about the mother boards going out. I've used the machine almost daily since early 2004. The dual feed foot was $78.00 or something ridiculous like that. :roll: I don't want to feel like I have to buy another Viking. But I do agree, the right foot makes ALL the difference.

I do appreciate the tips and will practice first.
Lennie

lendube

New postby kjh9835 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:02 am

Did a search for elastic thread and got two of Lennie's posts to pull up. This one plus the other for the elastic thread tips

Never heard of a pintuck foot so I Googled images and guess what? I have several thrown in the "foot container" that I didn't know what they were for and never played around with them. Joe has probably told me at one time or another but if I'm not using it right then, I don't remember what all of them are for. Someday I'll take of pic of each and write down what they are for.

So, does this foot actually do the rows for you as you sew? I have twin needles (again, never used but thrown in the "needles container"). Cant' get youtube to load this morning for some reason so can't see it in action.

Maybe once I get my sewing mess/supplies that are stacked everywhere sorted and put away, I'll play around some this week.

Kathy
kjh9835

Next

Return to General Sewing