Any Hints to Applique on Fleece??

The catch-all forum for sewing questions and discussion.

Re: Any Hints to Applique on Fleece??

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:09 pm

Nice blankets ,Judee. When I did an applique on a fleece sweatshirt, I used double sided fusible web to hold the applique in place. I used a warm iron & a press cloth to fuse the web. It's okay looking but I didn't take any photos. I prefer to embroider on fleece as opposed to applique.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby DorothyL on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:11 am

They look pretty good. When I do a satin stitch on applique sometimes I have to go over an area a second time to get it filled in well. But you have to be careful not go get it too heavy in an area. It can be a pain sometimes and I usually use heat and bond or put the applique on iron on interfacing before I apply it and just straight stitch around it.
Those look good.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby HeyJudee on Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:21 am

DorothyL wrote:When I do a satin stitch on applique sometimes I have to go over an area a second time to get it filled in well. But you have to be careful not go get it too heavy in an area. It can be a pain sometimes and I usually use heat and bond or put the applique on iron on interfacing before I apply it and just straight stitch around it.
Dorothy

I had Steam-a-seam, but the labels on the blankets said not to iron so I didn't dare try it. I thought afterwards that I could have tried a longer stitch length and sewn around it twice but I don't know whether it would have worked. Anyways the girl who asked me to do this was happy...and I didn't charge them for the work even though she was willing to pay. I know it isn't perfect and I'm not into sewing for money...yet...LOL.

Marty, I don't have an embroidery machine and I'm not planning on getting one. Having a quilting addiction is bad enough.

FYI - since I had told her I didn't know whether she would like the quality of the image on the material, she actually found someone in Ottawa via the internet who would digitize the image and embroider it on the blankets. The digitizing was $75 and it would have been $10 per image to embroider. So my semi-perfect appliques were a bargain! :whistle:
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

Previous

Return to General Sewing