Any Hints to Applique on Fleece??

The catch-all forum for sewing questions and discussion.

Any Hints to Applique on Fleece??

New postby HeyJudee on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:50 pm

Like some of the others on this board, a colleague at work has asked me to do her a favour...to sew something into the corner of a purchased fleece blanket. Well not just one...more like 4 blankets. The something is an image that she designed and I was planning on printing on fabric and then sewing the image to the blanket. But not having sewn very much at all on fleece, I was wondering if any of you have tips for me. I wanted to fuse the image to the fleece before appliquing it but I'm assuming that using heat on the fleece could be an issue. I would probably use tear away stabilizer on the back when appliquing the image. But do you think the fleece would stay put and not stretch? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

Re: Any Hints to Applique on Fleece??

New postby momquilts on Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:26 pm

I just finished my third baby jacket made from fleece bought at Joann's. It had a good bit of 'give' to it. It didn't stretch out of shape but I had to be diligent in feeding it through the needle because I don't have an even feed foot. I did fuse interfacing on the back of the pockets using a press cloth with no problem.

I did some hand stitching on a fleece blanket. I cross stitched the local football logo in the corner. I used tear away stabilizer and the waste canvas on top. It turned out fine. I have 3 more blankets but don't want to cross stitch any more, sewing is so much faster.

Pam
momquilts

New postby lendube on Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:53 pm

Keep in mind Judy, that so very much depends on the quality of the fleece. With your trained eye for fabrics I'm sure you'll be able to tell if it's very cheap or very good or somewhere in the middle. Cheap fleece is miserable. Just count on problems with it, i.e. stretching, scorching, etc. Good fleece can be pressed but I'd use a pressing cloth if you need more than medium heat. With ready made blankets you're not going to have the luxury of a test scrap. :think:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby HeyJudee on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:15 pm

Thanks ladies. You're right Lennie...no test scraps...and that's what's worrying me. I can't try something and just toss it if it doesn't work out. Oh, why oh why did I say yes!!! :doh: Well I get the blankets tomorrow so will find out the quality. Keeping my fingers crossed.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby Sancin on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:29 am

I have appliqued on Fleece. The process is not really any different than any other applique. However, I used Fleece on Fleece. I see no reason another fabric can not be appliqued as long as it is not too small and would become embedded into the fleece. You will want to check your tension as Fleece may be thick. I would not advise ironing on the applique ... position it with glue and then applique as you usually do. Fleece melts really easily .... ask me how I know. I don't recall using any stablizing but maybe I forget. If I did it would have been the thin water soluable type. I don't like heavy stabilizing stuff. I didn't use it on the the Fleece applique but my favourite is iron away .... when I can find it.

And incidentally, my first attempt was on cheap fleece (pilled up even before I finished!). The applique looked better than the vest. And I just recalled I did use a small piece of print on that applique.....it was a white buffalo with print horns on a navy vest.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

New postby DorothyL on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:39 am

I did some applique on fleece but it was so long ago I can't remember what I did. I suspect I ironed on (probably using a press cloth) because there are some small parts, but it is possible I just sewed them down. I like Nancy's idea of glue.
If you are worried things may get lost in the pile or want a little extra pop use iron-on interfacing on the applique piece before you glue it down.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Sancin on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:13 pm

When you get the blankets and the designs you may find there are layers to the applique. If so, try piecing and sewing them onto a fine material such as scrim or organza before apply them to the blanket (could do trial run that way), then glue the completed applique onto the blanket and sew around each piece so it looks as if each was appliqued onto the blanket. If you want a really finished appearance you could try doing this in reverse and turning the whole thing inside out to apply.
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

New postby bridesmom on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:45 pm

I picked up a bottle of quilting basting glue which is water soluble and has a kind of nozzle on it, so it comes out in a thin stream. I also have used a glue stick, but not on fleece. Would even just spraying it with 505 or some other water soluble adhesive work??
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby Here_Fishey on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:09 pm

I have the quilt basting spray... while it would work to hold the appliques in place, it is not stiff enough for embroidery or applique. It is rather sticky and the fabric is still really flexible. I think that you would still need a stabilizer for the fleece. I am thinking that you would need something like you would use for towels at least. Tearaway or cutaway on the bottom and water soluble on the top? Maybe you could get away with a double layer of water soluable on the bottom and one on the top for the fabric. You could dampen the water soluable on the top and stick the fabrics down before you tried to applique them? Might work, maybe???

Disclaimer - I have not tried applique on fleece, so all of my ideas are WILD speculation!
Ruby
Missing Alaska
Here_Fishey

New postby HeyJudee on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:38 pm

Well last night I did the appliques. I didn't use stablizer...but if I was doing it again, I probably would try it. Not having a sample piece to test was scary but in the end it wasn't perfect but it was acceptable. Occasionally I would have skipped stitches which made it hard to get a full satin stitch...you'll see the white spaces in the stitching (especially on the yellow one). I did take some pics and this is the best one. The applique looks more woobly in the pics than in real life.
Here are the security blankets...IT Security blankets that is...LOL.
And I think I'll stick to quilting cotton in the future...fleece is not really my thing. :doh:
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

Next

Return to General Sewing