Well last night I did the appliques. I didn't use stablizer...but if I was doing it again, I probably would try it. Not having a sample piece to test was scary but in the end it wasn't perfect but it was acceptable. Occasionally I would have skipped stitches which made it hard to get a full satin stitch...you'll see the white spaces in the stitching (especially on the yellow one). I did take some pics and this is the best one. The applique looks more woobly in the pics than in real life.
Here are the security blankets
...IT Security blankets that is...LOL.
And I think I'll stick to quilting cotton in the future...fleece is not really my thing.