Spring Cleaning in the Sewing Room

The catch-all forum for sewing questions and discussion.

Re: Spring Cleaning in the Sewing Room

New postby HeyJudee on Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:09 pm

HeyJudee wrote:Dorothy, I use blue bobbin holders that fit into the end of the spool and the bobbin slips on top. I don't remember the name but will try to find out when I get home.

I googled and googled and finally found them...they are called Bobbin Mates. BTW I can fit two bobbins on one holder so if you happen to have more than one bobbin wound both will stay with the spool.
http://www.craftconn.com/Main.asp?Task=Custom&Step=Notion+Details&productID=19117
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby DorothyL on Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:09 am

Judy, those are just what I need -- thank you so much. I didn't know they made such things. If I ever get paid I'll get some right away.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:54 pm

Those are different from what I have.. Mine are "Handi-bobs" and they are from Nancy's Notions. . Stock # is HB-200.. Here is description-- "it's a bobbin holder that mounts onto one end of your thread spool. This holds together a bobbin and thread of the same color." I have also purchased same thing elsewhere , but have no idea where I got the original package or what it cost. This is my second package because I love them..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:09 pm

Dorothy,
Here is the link to those at Nancy's Notions.. .. Shows a good close up if you click to enlarge it.. 18/ $3.98 is not a bad price, either.. http://www.nancysnotions.com/NNVia/viaI ... L%20HOLDER
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Magot on Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:16 pm

NAncy, Had a similar problem as a 10 year old with a ruched halter neck swimming costume - amazing how much water those things can hold!.
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby Sancin on Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:13 pm

Re: bobbin holders - I have the round ones from Nancy's Notions and the thing I like about them is they have channels on them to lock the bobbin threads. I also the blue taller 'stick' kind, but find that the bobbin thread tends to unwind. I don't have patience to put on those 'stick to itself' plastic tape around spools etc to keep the threads from unwinding. Plus the plastic tapes (mine are blue) doesn't help me identify the colours on either the spools or bobbins should they become separated. I also have one bobbin holder with a point to go into the thread hole that has a magnetic disk to hold the bobbin Unfortuately, most of my bobbins are not metal!

Wow, does that make sense? :?
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

New postby HeyJudee on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:21 pm

Sancin wrote: Re: bobbin holders - ... I also the blue taller 'stick' kind, but find that the bobbin thread tends to unwind. I don't have patience to put on those 'stick to itself' plastic tape around spools etc to keep the threads from unwinding.

Nancy, I went to the hardware store and bought some clear plastic flexible tubing that was in the bathroom section. I'm not sure what the tubing it's called... but I bought a foot length of two different sizes - 1/2 inch and either 5/8 or 3/4 inch. I took one of my bobbins to judge the sizes I needed. From the tubing, I cut circular pieces approx. the width of the bobbin - mine was 3/8 inch so I cut it between 1/4 and 3/8. Then I slit the tube so that I could open it and fit it around the thread in the bobbin. I use the smaller tubing pieces for bobbins that are less than half full and the larger tubing pieces tor bobbins that are more than half filled. The thread never unwinds. I keep a bunch of these next to my machine and just slip one around the thread in the bobbin whenever I put one on the bobbin mate. FYI - I got this idea from the tip section in one of the Fons and Porter magazines.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby Sancin on Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:17 am

Thanks, Judee - good idea! I think I have something similar in my 'this may come in handy some day' box . I forgot that I do have some bobbin thread holders that I purchased at one point that are good, when I can find them. I can't recall where or when I got them, but they are cut circle of a pink, silicon type of material with a little handle on them. They work very well, when they are in use and I have enough.
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

New postby DorothyL on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:41 am

I went to the hardware store and bought some clear plastic flexible tubing that was in the bathroom section. I'm not sure what the tubing it's called... but I bought a foot length of two different sizes - 1/2 inch and either 5/8 or 3/4 inch. I took one of my bobbins to judge the sizes I needed. From the tubing, I cut circular pieces approx. the width of the bobbin - mine was 3/8 inch so I cut it between 1/4 and 3/8. Then I slit the tube so that I could open it and fit it around the thread in the bobbin. I use the smaller tubing pieces for bobbins that are less than half full and the larger tubing pieces tor bobbins that are more than half filled.

Well that is more work than I'll likely do!
I do like the ones that hold the end of the bobbin thread. Will they work on a Gutermann spool?
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:07 pm

Yes Dorothy, I have one on my burgundy spool of G. thread right now.. I have been measuring all the different mfrs thread spools and the hole in the spool seems to be standard on all the ones I have..and that includes sulky and gutterman with their tiny elongated spools also..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

PreviousNext

Return to General Sewing