Breast feeding bib & baby wrap with legs

The catch-all forum for sewing questions and discussion.

Breast feeding bib & baby wrap with legs

New postby bridesmom on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:25 pm

My pregnant daughter is wanting me to make a breast feeding bib, which she describes as kind of a circle of fabric with a hole in the middle and velcro to close it, so you put it on yourself to cover yourself while breastfeeding baby.

The other thing she wants is some sort of a blanket that has 'legs' in it so that you put baby in with it's legs through the leg holes, then wrap him like you do with a receiving blanket.

So, all you new moms and grandmas out there, can you help direct me looking for patterns for these???
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Re: Breast feeding bib & baby wrap with legs

New postby Sewing Lady on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:31 pm

Laura, The breast feeding bibs are nothing but big (think poodle skirt) with 2 slits, one on each side of the neck, with buttons and loops. You could just use a poncho pattern to make one.
Leighanna
"To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?"
Katharine Graham - Washington Post
Sewing Lady

New postby pucktricks on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:34 pm

Is this what she's talking about for the bibs: http://www.sewbaby.com/big/patterns1_/sb-4.html?

Ticia
pucktricks

New postby bridesmom on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:40 pm

By George I think it is! I haven't seen it, she was just trying to describe it. I personally balk at $7.95 for a pattern, I wonder if I can just figure it out without a pattern.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

New postby Sewing Lady on Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:11 pm

I think that I own a pattern similar to this one. But it is more of a sun suit. Kind of like the wrap around pants.
Leighanna
"To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?"
Katharine Graham - Washington Post
Sewing Lady

New postby StitchNTime on Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:18 pm

Here is a link to a "Hooter Hider"...

http://imustnotthinkbadthoughts.wordpress.com/2007/10/01/here-have-a-hooty/

I think this is likely what your daughter has in mind.

Judy
StitchNTime

New postby AndreaSews on Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:06 pm

bridesmom wrote:I personally balk at $7.95 for a pattern, I wonder if I can just figure it out without a pattern.

Me too. Yes, you certainly can! I think it's kind of star-shaped when it's all opened up: A point for each limb, and a bump for the hood. As for the nursing modesty cape, I've seen people using these, some of them dear, dear, friends. And I have to say YES, breasts are out of view, but it draws a whole lot more attention than just sitting there and nursing! While they sit there snapping on their giant colorful capes, others look on wondering what on earth they're doing. Then after they've drawn all that attention, they get ready to latch on, and everyone is uncomfortable. It's silly. I think if I were looking for some breastfeeding modesty (I always wore a cardigan and just placed it strategically, but there were a couple of occasions when I could have used a veil) then I would vote for a fabric that is very thin and airy, and not with a juvenile print. I'm thinking of a nice cotton voile or gauze. It would fold up tiny and take up very little space in the carrying bag. For the mother, it's more sophisticated and not so hot, and think about that baby, who has to breathe under all that stuff too!
Andrea
AndreaSews

New postby DorothyL on Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:46 pm

and think about that baby, who has to breathe under all that stuff too!

That's what I was thinking.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Magot on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:11 am

I can't imagine ever using one of those huge tents - a pashmina would work as well as be less obvious. Personally I just fed anyway/anywhere and had done with it. If you are so embarrassed about feeding are you likely to keep it up? Admittedly - when learning it was easiest just to strip to the waist but after a week or so it was "have baby will travel" Just a personal opinion there.
I like the blankie thing though.
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby DorothyL on Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:11 am

When Amber was born Amy was having swimming lessons at the YMCA. I'd take her and wait in the front room where the boys -- young teens -- were playing pool and other table games. Amber showed her demanding personality even then and would want to eat as soon as I sat down. At first I was worried someone would think it inappropriate (and I wasn't sure it wasn't) but I'd throw a receiving blanket over my shoulder and chest and she'd have her snack.
The young men were always considerate and after she was finished they'd ask how she was doing. She was kind of the Y-boys mascot baby.
Dorothy
DorothyL

Next

Return to General Sewing