Gathering..

The only stupid question is one that is never asked! Post your basic/beginner questions and tips here!

Gathering..

New postby Little Bear on Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:01 am

So this is another noobie question.. I'm working with a dress pattern that wants me to gather one of the hems, it asks to stitch along the hem line and then 1/4" INSIDE the seam.. I'm thinking that means closet to the raw edge?

Gathering stuff.jpg
Gathering stuff.jpg (11.42 KB) Viewed 5264 times

As in the blue line?
Mrs B ~ a beautiful thing is never perfect
Little Bear

Re: Gathering..

New postby sewingmom on Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:49 am

I think you are correct. It has been 10 months since I have sewn but if memory serves me, that is correct. There are a few ways to gather and that is the first method I learned. Have fun. I hope you have a good sewing book on hand. Readers Digest has a pretty good one and I am told the older edition is the better one.
Nice illustration. Did you do it in Paint.
Belinda
sewingmom

New postby sewingrandma on Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:06 pm

Mrs B I gather just a smidgen away from the seam line so I don't have to worry about the gathering stitch showing on the right side then the second line of stitching is 1/4 inch away from that first row of gathering stitches. I have found if the 2 gathering lines are closer together they don't tunnel as much, and it makes it easier to have a neater row of gathers. Love your diagrams. So wish I could use our computer to its fullest extent. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pictures!!
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby Little Bear on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:05 am

sewingmom wrote:I hope you have a good sewing book on hand

Belinda I have nothing! I'm just plodding along and learning more from my mistakes then anything else!

sewingmom wrote:Nice illustration. Did you do it in Paint.

I used Photoshop actually, little bit of overkill but at least I know how to use it!

sewingrandma wrote:I have found if the 2 gathering lines are closer together they don't tunnel as much, and it makes it easier to have a neater row of gathers.

Okay I think that makes sense! So I'm right in sewing the gather stitches closet to the raw edge? and then I should sew the gather stitch next to the seam and then next to that? Oh goodness I hope I'm making sense!

sewingrandma wrote:Love your diagrams. So wish I could use our computer to its fullest extent. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pictures!!

Brockie I'm just a product of my generation! Thank-you though!
Little Bear

New postby sewingrandma on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:22 am

Mrs B, I can't quote either so just paraphrase what you said "so I'll sew closest to the raw edge". No, you stitch you first row of gathering stitches on the seam line then the next row of gathering stitches 1/4 of an inch away from the seam line/gathering stitch line. To recap, first row gathering stitch is on the 5/8 seam line (5/8 of an inch from the raw edge)and the second row of gathering stitch is on the 3/8 line (1/4 of an inch away from the seam line/gathering stitch line, 3/8 of an inch from the raw edge). Hope this is clearer. Remember this is how I find using 2 rows of gathering easier, others may do it differently.
As far as sewing books we all have our favorites. I have the Simplicity one, actually two of them-one is from the 70s and the newer one has pattern fitting. I also have many of the Nancy Zieman books,the Singer books and Palmer and Pletsch books. I also like Sandra Betzina but only have her Fabric Savvy book. I can't remember titles to her other books but would love to find one or two of them (I buy all my books used). You can go on line and find her online videos which are very helpful. Her video of inserting fly type zippers is the one that I follow for all of the ones I put in. Don't discount the older sewing books out there. I have one from prior to 1920 and I refer to it on many occasions. If you have a library nearby search thru what they have available. Our library had most of S.Betzina's video collection and they taught his old dog new tricks and it has an extensive selection of sewing books many of which I found that I liked so much I went out and found them for my own collection.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:23 am

In the past I have had both the Singer and Readers Digest learn to sew books. I kept the Readers Digest one when I downsized by extensive book collection. I have a couple of the Palmer Pletch books I purchased when I got my Serger. I love them to get new ideas on how to use my serger. But I think you should go to your local library and see what they have. Check them out and look over the books and decide what is best for you. I think everyone needs at least one for reference.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:46 pm

For me, when gathering, the quickest way (if I don't want to use my serger) is to cut a length of fishing line and zigzag over it without catching the line in my stitching. I can pull the gathers as tight or as loose as I need them. It works very well. As for sewing books, I have over 200 in my collection. For beginners, I recommend Nancy Zieman's Essential Guide to Sewing as well as the Complete Photo Guide to Sewing. Both are excellent.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Little Bear on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:19 pm

Thanks Brockie, that makes sense!

Ladies I'll have to look into getting some books. So far I've just been relying on google.

Mrs B
Little Bear

Return to Basic/Beginner Sewing