When to serge, when not to serge

The only stupid question is one that is never asked! Post your basic/beginner questions and tips here!

When to serge, when not to serge

New postby SmilieFace on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:27 am

So, I'm about to start working on a jacket for work. The material is...wool, I believe. I finally figured out how to thread my machine (I think), so I'd like to use my serger. Can I just serge the seams? Or do I have to use my sewing machine for the seams and serge the edges?
SmilieFace

Re: When to serge, when not to serge

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:02 pm

You may want a seam allowance on your jacket especially for curved areas so I would serge the edge of the pattern pieces and construct the jacket by machine. If it were just a T-shirt or a top, I would say serge the whole thing but on something as special as a jacket especially if it is lined, I would just serge the edges.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingrandma on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:56 pm

When I bought my serger 15+years ago the dealer recommeded using my sewing machine for seams that would have a lot of stress on them as the seam on my machine isn't as 'tight' as a regular sewing machine seam is. I have used my serger exclusively for knits and some wovens and haven't noticed any problems with the seams coming apart so I would say it would probably be OK to serge you wool. I agree with Marty though you might like to a full seam allowance in your jacket, unless of course you are going to line it then you don't need to use the serger on you seams as they will be covered anyways.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby kaitlinnegan on Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:17 pm

I find it a lot easier to sew curved seams in my sewing machine than on the serger. Plus with a sewing machine it's a lot easier to unsew -- with serger seam allowances there really isn't any room to let something out if needed. If your jacket is mostly straight seams and you're pretty sure it's going to fit, why not serge it? But I would find curved seams like princess seams a lot easier and less nerve-wracking on my sewing machine. I have sewn knit tops with princess seams on the serger, but they had relatively less curve to them.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

Return to Basic/Beginner Sewing