Help with dress detail

The only stupid question is one that is never asked! Post your basic/beginner questions and tips here!

Help with dress detail

New postby Avery_Astrid on Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:27 am

Hi, I'm new here but I've been sewing since I was 13. I am making a dress for a project I am working on and I want to create the detail shown in the picture on the bodice of the dress. I was just wondering the steps to achieve this look. Thanks in advance for all your help! =)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-02-26 at 11.16.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-02-26 at 11.16.16 PM.png (175.36 KB) Viewed 5244 times
Avery_Astrid

Re: Help with dress detail

New postby Liz92B on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:39 am

the picture is just a big black blob ... have you got a better photo?
Liz / Calgary
Liz92B

New postby Mom of Six on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:50 am

Liz92B wrote:the picture is just a big black blob ... have you got a better photo?

or can you lighten the one you have? I can't see any details
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby Avery_Astrid on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:03 am

Sorry, is this one better?
Attachments
bright.jpg
bright.jpg (139.76 KB) Viewed 5087 times
Avery_Astrid

New postby Mom of Six on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:30 am

Picture is better.
I think if it was me I would piece the fabric & then cut out my pattern pieces. It would cause a little waste but I think it would be the easiest way to do it.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:59 pm

Looks like the dress has asymmetrical tucked pleats & ruching. You can achieve this by creating panels & then stitching them together.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby sewingmom on Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:38 pm

I'll just add my 2 cents worth to the picture. I think we could be more helpful if you would scan a couple of pictures of the pattern. It could be you need to slash and spread the pattern pieces and then ruch or pleat the pieces to the size necessary. You could also, as has been said, ruch or pleat and then piece pieces of the fabric at different angles creating one piece of fabric and then cut out the pattern.
I wish you good success with the project. Am hoping you post finished project pictures.
sewingmom

New postby Mule on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:00 am

I see a few solid pieces, and then the rest appear to be gathered and on the bias. If it were my project, I would approach it this way:
[*]Make a pattern for the bodice with a piece for each section (don't forget seam allowances)
[*]Make a long strip of pleated fabric to use
[*]Cut the appropriate pieces from the gathered strip or regular fabric

One way to make the gathered strip:
[*]Figure out how wide it needs to be by looking at the widest piece and adding on seam allowances
[*]Figure out approximately how long it needs to be. Probably easier to make a little extra than calculate exactly.
[*]Cut a piece of fabric with the width and length based on the measurements figured above.
[*]Cut a second piece of fabric the same width, but 2-3 times the length -- depending on how much gathering you want. (Test pieces would probably be a good idea!)
[*]Run two rows of gathering stitches along each long edge of the longer piece.
[*]Gather the edges until the piece matches the flat piece in length, and baste the two pieces together on the long edges.

When using the pattern pieces to cut sections from the gathered strip, I would suggest first cutting to appropriate length (don't forget seam allowances). Then lay your pattern piece on top of the strip and mark the shape of your cutting line. Then baste inside the line prior to cutting. Otherwise you will lose your gathers.

There may be better ways to do this, but it's what I would try if it were my project. Good luck!
Beth
Mule

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:06 pm

You have more guts than I do. to attempt something like that without any instructions.. I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole, and I have been sewing for over 62 years.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

Return to Basic/Beginner Sewing