thread issues im guessing in need of help badly

The only stupid question is one that is never asked! Post your basic/beginner questions and tips here!

thread issues im guessing in need of help badly

New postby ehser1 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:57 pm

hi all...i have a singer ultralock that ive only used with minimal issues a handful of ties..and now that im getting ready to use it all the time for small project its giving me thread issues and i cant figure out what im doing wrong....ok im gonna try and explain what its doin...well my sis hemmed a pair of jeans and te needle broke..no big deal..i got new needles threaded them and now for some reason the thread wont do rite...ive rethreaded the machine several times thinkin i did something wrong...but no prevail..any and all input would be so greatly appreciated..im desperate since i love using my serger nd would realy like to get it running again..thank u all
ehser1

Re: thread issues im guessing in need of help badly

New postby lendube on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi. Since you've used the serger before with success I'm guessing that you're familiar with the threading and you've rechecked that. Make sure you're threading in the correct order. Very important to most machines. Are you sure you bought the right kind of needles? I've had a Babylock that could use any regular sewing machine needles and now I have a Viking that is very specific about needles. If I use anything but Inspira Overlock needles it has a fit. Good luck.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby sewingmom on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:08 pm

I'm betting needles are the problem but just in case it is something else here is what I would do. Look up in your owners manual the needles to use. put two of those in and make sure they are inserted all the way. Next take all the thread completely off the machine and following the thread guide in the mamual, exactly. Be sure you have a good quality thread like Maxiloc. Now surge a piece of fabric that you have had good success with and if it works then do a test piece of your current fabric. You may need different tension settings for the current fabric.
sewingmom

New postby bridesmom on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm

Also, when you rethread, make sure your foot is up so the tension discs are released, if your manual states to thread needles 4,3,2,1, then make sure to do it in that order, and one tip I learned from a sewing class, make sure the thread in the needles is not going down inside the machine, run a tweezer or something flat under the needles to pull the thread out from inside the machine and bring the thread to the back. This will stop the looper threads from breaking when you start to sew. Good luck and let us know if you got it figured out. Another thought, is the needle in backwards? I've done that a few times :oops:
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby sewingmom on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:49 am

Thanks Laura, that is most important info.
sewingmom

New postby ehser1 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:53 pm

thanks all for the ideas...since i did add 2 new needles i am hoping thats the problem...im goin buy some more needles tomorrow and see if thats the issue...wish me luck cause the rethreading is getting old quick..taking all the thread out and redoing it, 8 times now , is getting very tediouse and old fast...lol
ehser1

New postby bridesmom on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Good luck with the serger. They can be frustrating machines that's for sure! We've all been there!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

New postby sewingmom on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:42 am

:brick: I have rethreaded so much that I could do it blindfolded. I hope needles do the trick. I think it is recommended not to use stretch or balll point needles in a serger. Someone, correct me if I am wrong.
sewingmom

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:06 am

It depends on the serger. I only use Schmetz ELX705 needles in either a 12 or 14 in both of my sergers. It's primarily for coverstitches but I find that they work best for all applications & fabrics.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby DorothyL on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:10 pm

My manual recommends I only use ELX705 needles in my serger.

Dorothy
DorothyL

Next

Return to Basic/Beginner Sewing