sewing machine

The only stupid question is one that is never asked! Post your basic/beginner questions and tips here!

sewing machine

New postby mzkiekie on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:10 pm

I want to start a sewing business but don't have the money for a sewing machine and supplies. What should I do about that?
mzkiekie

Re: sewing machine

New postby ehser1 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:00 pm

hon..the easiest way is ask friends or family if they have anything they arnt using...if all else fails..there is a yahoowebsite called freecycle...its all over the world..ppl sharing and recycleing things among one another all the time..its awsome in my area...try it out..see what pops up..you might be surprised
ehser1

New postby sewingmom on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:35 pm

There are frequently sewingmachines and vintage patterns, even dress forms at the thrift stores.
sewingmom

New postby Alexalter on Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:11 pm

I have found machines at thirft stores and have heard some people going throught freecycle but alot of the times the machine needs some kind of repairs. So it is alittle bit of buyer beware.
I would for sure talk to family, friends, and have them talk to their family and friends. There is always someone out there that has a machine at home that is getting dusty.
Alexalter

New postby DorothyL on Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:10 am

What kind of business are you thinking of. There is often money available through state and local programs to help small and micro businesses.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby sewingmom on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:50 am

You know, I am having a little brainstorm here. It depends on what your sewing skill is and what type of machine you will need but I have seen many industrial machines for sale in the trader type sale catalogues and most dealers have used machines they sale at reduced prices. Could you apprentice yourself to an alterations person with an establishes business and use one of their machines to get started??? What about seeing if there is a sewing guild or quilting guild in your area? Some of those people might be willing to part with an older machine for a reasonable price. If you are a church member, your pastor might announce your need to the congregation and someone may just donate a machine. we do that at ours and have bought a hyperbaric chamber fo an autistic child, gotten a fixerupper house repaired, gotten cars for people just in a tough situation. Check with some of the charity organizations if you qualify, they might be able to help. Even some churches will help someone in need weather you are a member or not. I hope I havn't said anything offensive. I do not know your situation so please forgive me if I am out of line.
sewingmom

Return to Basic/Beginner Sewing