How to make a inner tube cover

The only stupid question is one that is never asked! Post your basic/beginner questions and tips here!

How to make a inner tube cover

New postby Anza54 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:31 am

Good Morning Everyone, I was hoping someone out here would have any suggestions as to how to go about making a innner tube cover. Nothing fancy, just something to keep from burning my tush on the hot black rubber. I want to use some old towels. I kind of have an idea but would love to hear your thoughts. I would also like it to be a done easily/quickly because I am planning on using them in a few days. Thanks for your ideas. Barbara :D
Anza54

Re: How to make a inner tube cover

New postby Bama on Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:59 am

I think a fabric with a little stretch might be easier to work with. Fabric with no stretch might rip more easily while you're using the tube too. Maybe some stretch terry since you wanted to use towels. I'm not sure how to go about making a cover shaped like that, but I'm anxious to hear how it turns out. Do you plan to cover the whole tube, or just a portion of it to sit on?

Here's a thought...... Maybe you could take a long length of fabric (not so wide, maybe 8 or 10 inches wide) and wrap it around and around the tube and secure it in place at the end. :think:
I'm creative. You can't expect me to be neat too.
Bama

New postby DorothyL on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:42 am

I agree - A long strip of fabric wrapped around the tube with the edges overlapping a bit seems like the easiest idea then carefully secure the end. If you really want to use towels maybe you could sew them into the long strip.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Anza54 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:51 am

Great minds think alike :D That is what I decided to do. Make one long continuous strip of terry cloth towels. I cut them 4 inches wide instead of 8. They seem to wrap around easier without the bulk. Will just take longer. Still contemplating how to secure it though. Low tempature hot glue maybe? Thanks all :D
Anza54

New postby DorothyL on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:32 am

maybe, if you are not being picky, you could just tuck it under?
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby temom on Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:21 pm

Can you use velcro to secure it? I'd love to see a pic of your project!
Theresa
temom

New postby Reta J on Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:33 pm

Sew the hook side of velcro to one end and once you wrap the terry all around, then the hook will stick to terry as well as it would to the loop side. Another idea would be to measure the tube around the outside edge at largest part and measure the tube's "fatness", don't know what else to call it, cut material length the size of the outside plus about 4 inches, and wide enough to go around the tube, measure the inside of the hole and cut 2 pieces of elastic that length or sew casings and put drawstrings in to tie into place on each of the long sides of material. Sew short ends together. Now you should be able to slip tube in casing and elastic or drawstrings should hold it in place. You can also remove it to wash it when it needs it.

Hope this helps.
Sewing Forever
Housework Whenever
Reta J
Reta J

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:09 am

Because when I was young, my father was a line haul truck driver, I had an inner tube for water sports that was from a huge truck tire.. We made a rope harness that created a middle to cover the hole so that I would not fall thru.. we had woven clothes line rope into a shape and it looped and tied around the outside of the inner tube. Then , I just laid a beach towel on top and the whole thing was covered by the towel.. I had not thought about that in years, til you asked this question.. It was so much fun, and all my friends loved it also..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

Return to Basic/Beginner Sewing