Threading a serger video

The only stupid question is one that is never asked! Post your basic/beginner questions and tips here!

Threading a serger video

New postby pucktricks on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:27 am

Just thought I'd show this to everyone, don't have a serger, but it looks to give a fairly good tutorial of how to thread it (which is what always seems hard to me).

http://www.threadbanger.com/episode/THR_20080704

Ticia
pucktricks

Re: Threading a serger video

New postby DorothyL on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:06 am

What they call
the most important thing -- you always --
is so different from my machine if someone didn't know what they were doing or didn't have a manual they would have the upper looper threaded with what should be the lower and vice versa as well as the right needle threaded with what should be the left and vice versa. I don't know about other machines but mine would likely have a heart attack if I tried that.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:12 am

I think the author assumed that all sergers thread in the same order. But if you have a manual , then you would have no trouble doing your own serger according to directions.. Mine is at least 20 years old and it is color coded and the precise order of threading is spelled out very clearly in my manual.. (including the warnings of why this is of prime importance)I think the video is good in that it takes some of the mystery out of threading a serger. I don't believe you could make one video that would directly apply to all sergers.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:16 pm

Each brand of machine has its own threading path. Generally most of them are upper looper, lower looper, right needle, left needle. At least that is what I have discovered when using different machines. That's one of the nice things about belonging to sewing guilds or clubs is that you learn about different machines and their functions. Good serger books also help. One of the best beginner books is "The ABC's of Serging".
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Return to Basic/Beginner Sewing