Piping Tips

The only stupid question is one that is never asked! Post your basic/beginner questions and tips here!

Piping Tips

New postby SmilieFace on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:25 am

So, I'm wanting to make Simplicty 6397, View E. I see the pattern calls for piping. I've never added piping before; can someone provide instructions/tips? Do I need a special foot to attach the piping? Even more basic -- where do I buy the piping? Is it with the Wrights bias tapes, etc., or is it somewhere else?
SmilieFace

Re: Piping Tips

New postby SmilieFace on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:44 am

Okay, I found the piping tutorial on this site...But I still would like the answers to my other questions...
SmilieFace

New postby Mom of Six on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:00 am

You can buy piping with in the shelves the bias tapes or make your own if you want it to match or can't find the right color.
Barb
wife to 1
Mom to Six
Mother in Law to 2
Grandma to 4
Lunchlady
Mom of Six
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!
2009 Stash Challenge Winner - Clean Sweep!

New postby kaitlinnegan on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:06 am

You can buy piping - you're right, it is usually by the bias tape and other trims. Or, you can make your own. I've never made it myself, but from what I can tell it is bias tape folded in half with some kind of filler (string, fine yard, cording) stitched into it. Here is a tutorial on how to make your own piping: Covering cording to make piping - they are using thick cording, but of course you could use whatever size "stuffing" you want.

Very cute pattern! I need a new purse... I wonder if I'd have time for that on top of everything else I need to do before my tip in July.. :think:
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby DorothyL on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:43 am

You can make a flat piping too. Just the folded bias strips without the cording. Sometimes I like that better. One time I sandwiched blue bias tape between red bias tape -- with the blue a little wider so it was sticking out between them. It looked cool.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby SmilieFace on Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:45 pm

Okay, great. I just picked up some piping. I also picked up some material for lining. But when I got back, I realized that the material was more of a knit. Can I use it anyway? My material for the purse is a lightweight denim.
SmilieFace

New postby DorothyL on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:07 pm

If it is not real stretchy it seems like you could use it. The denim will stabilize it. Pockets could be a problem if they stretch out a lot.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Magot on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:16 pm

Couldn't you fuse a lightweight interfacing to the knit to stabilise it?
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby SmilieFace on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:33 am

I ended up getting a polyster/rayon blend material and using that for the lining.

For all my worrying about the piping, it was surprisingly easy to put in. I used my standard foot -- no special zipper or piping foot. It turned out pretty well. The only thing I didn't like was a function of the pattern instructions (for some reason, they had you attach the flap after attaching the piping, so there's about 1.5" of the purse that the piping doesn't show. Other than that, it's a cute bag.
SmilieFace

New postby DorothyL on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:54 am

(for some reason, they had you attach the flap after attaching the piping, so there's about 1.5" of the purse that the piping doesn't show. Other than that, it's a cute bag.

One time I made a bag (from a kit, no less) and I decided to put in pockets. The directions had you put the trim around the middle on after the whole ting was together. I couldn't figure out why they wouldn't do the trim before you sew the lining in but I did it their way. When it was done I realized I'd sewn my pockets shut when I sewed the trim on!!
Dorothy
DorothyL

Next

Return to Basic/Beginner Sewing