Piping Question

The only stupid question is one that is never asked! Post your basic/beginner questions and tips here!

Piping Question

New postby temom on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:32 pm

I'm makeing a reversible vest for a birthday gift tomorrow. It has optional piping. I thought I'd give it a whirl, and make piping. I cut my material on the bias, but I used what was leftover from a project, so it wasn't a big piece. I joined all the pieces together, and made my piping. It seems like I have too many seams!

If I use it, will the joining seams be as obvious as they are now?
Theresa
temom

Re: Piping Question

New postby ddreev on Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:40 pm

Did you join the strips together on an angle? The diagonal seam is less noticeable. If you haven't done that you might want to try and see if you are happier with that.

Since you are on a deadline, I will try to explain how to make a diagonal seam in case you aren't familiar with it.

To make a diagonal seam, you take an end of each strip and put right sides together at a right angle to each other. You then sew diagonally from one corner to the other where the two strips overlap forming a square. When you open it up it will form a continuous strip. I always visualize what way it should open before I sew to make sure I am sewing the correct diagonal. I know this is probably as clear as mud.

I don't know if this is appropriate for your project but,if the vest is for a girl sometimes sandwiching ric rac between the two seams with the points showing is a cute accent.
Dorothy D.
ddreev

New postby temom on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:15 pm

AAAAhhhhhh, says Theresa. Thank you Donna! I thought it was supposed to be at an angle, and I couldn't find anything in my books (although I only looked in 3 of the 30...), and everytime I tried it, my strips came out at a right angle. I almost had it.

I finished my trial version without the piping a few minutes ago. My daughter picked out fabric for one also. I'll post a pic of it tomorrow.

I like the ric rac idea - I bet that would be better than the piping.

Thanks again, Donna.
Theresa
temom

New postby lendube on Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:33 am

Also, if you can use a print for the piping the seams will be far less obvious than with a solid color.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby HeyJudee on Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:32 pm

FYI - here is a link explaining (with pics) on how to make bias tape
http://www.savvyseams.com/techniques/biastape.php
And here is a fast method to make continuous bias tape. HTH
http://www.fabriclandwest.com/quilters%20corner/biasbinding.htm
HeyJudee

New postby temom on Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:58 pm

OOOOPS! I mean thank you DOROTHY!! Shoot, I'm so sorry. :oops: Where in the world did I get Donna???? :oops:

Also thank you Lennie and Judy. I'll try the printed fabric (which I think would be cuter anyway) and check out the tutorials.
Theresa
temom

New postby ddreev on Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:51 am

Theresa, it is no problem I answer to most things...As I laughingly told my ddil I didn't care what she called me as long as it was polite. :lol: luckily I have a a good ddil and she has a wonderful sense of humor.
Dorothy D.
ddreev

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:54 pm

Judee,
Thanks for the continuous binding link.. I have known how to do that for a while, but that is the best pictorial I have seen.. Thanks for that..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby pucktricks on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:24 pm

I tend to use remnants for making my piping, and it doesn't seem to be noticeable to me, but none of mine have been a solid color. It's usually a slight texture, and it's for baby or kids clothes most often, so it's not large amounts anyways. I'm lazy and don't do the diagonal seams, I know you're supposed to, but I haven't yet. I keep meaning to try.........

Ticia
pucktricks

Return to Basic/Beginner Sewing