Chennille

The only stupid question is one that is never asked! Post your basic/beginner questions and tips here!

Chennille

New postby temom on Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:52 pm

Yesterday I watched a Nancy Zieman video about chennille. I thought it was pretty cool, and certainly didn't look too hard. So tonight I tried a square - smaller than 15 inches, I think. Anyway, I thought I would do it on both sides, like a blanket. So I sewed and sewed and sewed, and thought the worst of it was over. Then I started cutting. I cut completely through my base fabric 3 or 4 times. But it is all cut, and ready to be tossed in the washer tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Right now, my fingers are sore!
Theresa
temom

Re: Chennille

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:30 pm

I've been meaning to try that out on a small sample, but haven't done it yet.. Let me know what you think of it..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby temom on Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:36 pm

I learned from Bama that your fabric needs to be 100% cotton for it to "bloom". Mine didn't bloom after 2 washes, and I'm guessing it is a poly cotton blend. It was in my friend's stash, and she gave it to me.

I learned from Lennie that flannel is wonderful for making chennile.

I learned that Nancy Zieman knows what she is talking about when she says to make your base fabric (the one you don't cut) a little bit bigger than your other layers. It makes cutting much easier!

I leaned that if I see a "shoe" for a rotary cutter or a chenille cutter, and they are not horribly expensive, I will buy one.

I learned from Lennie that flannel is wonderful for making chennile.

I also leanred that I probably have terrible posture when I sew 'cause I got a backache doing it.

I will definately try it again, just not anytime soon, as I think I got over my sewing slump.
Theresa
temom

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:14 pm

Theresa,
I have a new coupon cutter I have not used yet, and I have been saving it to use to cut Chenille grooves.. I'm gonna try it anyway.. May not last very long (the sharpness) but it may hold out long enough for me to see if I want one of those (the real gadget for that task)for real to protect the base fabric.. I hate to buy a gadget and not get full use from it..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby temom on Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:15 pm

Libby, that is a great idea! Let me know how it works. I would think that as long as you don't use it on paper, it would be ok. I'll have to watch the Dollar Tree for such a thing. I used to have one, but I have no idea where I got it. If I find one, I'll buy one, assuming that it will only cost a dollar or two.
Theresa
temom

New postby lendube on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:46 am

I find spring loaded scissors work best and also snip as you go so you're not sittin' and snippin' for long stretches of time. Have fun and I think this would be a great project to get sewing again. Easy, quick and rewarding.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Return to Basic/Beginner Sewing