Adding a lining

The only stupid question is one that is never asked! Post your basic/beginner questions and tips here!

Re: Adding a lining

New postby DorothyL on Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:48 pm

I would say either get a heavier weight lining or maybe a darker color.
I guess it depends on how much shows through and the look you want.
I don't know much about white. Being pasty white and fat it just doesn't look good on me at all.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby SmilieFace on Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:05 pm

I'm beginning to think that this jumper was not meant to be. I finally found the right material, sewed that up, and added the lining. I then added some ribbon around the high waist. Looks cute on the hanger. I go to try it on and...the bust is too big! (I think I cut the bodice a size too big :brick: ) the question is, What do I do now? Is the only way to fix this to take apart the dress, and the lining, redo the princess seams on the dress, and then the lining, and then put it back together? Or is there some other, less intensive, way?
SmilieFace

New postby Sewing Lady on Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:11 pm

Can you post a pic? I would say that you could just take in the side seams, but without seeing the garment can't really guess.
Leighanna
"To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?"
Katharine Graham - Washington Post
Sewing Lady

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:14 pm

That's what is known as a learning experience. We all have them from time to time. It's so important to get those shoulder and bust measurements right before cutting the pattern. I'm constantly altering patterns to the point I'm sick of it before I get started. But ... I'll save that rant for another day.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby SmilieFace on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:49 pm

Yes, I don't know what I was thinking. The first (and only other) time I made this pattern, I cut the right measurements. No idea where my head was this time.
Attachments
HPIM0575.JPG
HPIM0575.JPG (109.51 KB) Viewed 1108 times
HPIM0574.JPG
HPIM0574.JPG (106.29 KB) Viewed 1105 times
SmilieFace

New postby kaitlinnegan on Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Wow, that is so cute! And your zipper looks perfectamundo! It really doesn't look that big, but of course it's hard to tell in pictures. Does your fabric have any spandex in it? I'm thinking either that or just the weave of the fabric having a little more give could account for the difference, maybe. Anyway, I think it's entirely possible it's not your mistake..and you should blame the fabric. :D

I think taking it in on the side seams would probably be the best option. If you're interested in a "quick fix," though, I've seen people gather the center front when a bodice is just a bit too big. I haven't tried it myself, but I think it might look cute. It would give the dress more of a sweetheart neckline, so I guess it depends how you feel about that. Be sure to keep us posted. :)
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby SmilieFace on Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:42 pm

When I am standing up it doesn't look that big, but when I lean over...You can see the whole world!! :doh: No, there's no spandex in the fabric. Do you have a picture of the tieing in the center of the bodice, Kaitlin? Also, do you think the fit is alright, or is it too wrinkly in places? [sigh]

So funny that I thought this would go together quickly. My first time using this pattern, I was done in 3 hours. This has been three weeks! Ack! My darned stubbornness won't let me give up...
SmilieFace

New postby kaitlinnegan on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:32 pm

Gosh, it's hard to find a picture of such a simple thing! Here's one: New Look 6750 - Bodice A (seen in the upper left dress A+C, plus various other places on the picture) has the type of gathering I'm talking about. I'm not entirely sure of the best way to do it, but in my mind you could just run some long stitching (either by machine or hand) vertically down the center bodice, then pull up on the stitching to gather it. Then once it's gathered the way you like it, you would need to stitch over the gathers to secure them. I'm not sure if that helps at all -- I poked around on craftster to see if anyone made a tutorial for something like that, but to no avail. If you like the idea I could probably take a couple pictures to show you what I mean. I'm not entirely sure if it will help with the modesty issue, and it may actually make matters worse by lowering the neckline in the front slightly. Basically it will do the same thing as if you pinched out a little vertically in the center front with your fingers, so you can try that and see if it makes any difference.

Anyway, it's such a pretty dress! It looks like it fits well aside from the too-wide neckline issue - don't give up on it yet!
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby DorothyL on Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:46 am

When I made my daughters wedding dress -- actually a skirt and strapless top-- the top went very well, boning and all and fit perfectly -- until the darn thing was finished and she put it on. She had a gap like that one. After I decided crying wasn't going to do any good I did exactly as Kaitlin suggested and it looked even better than the original design -- we thought.
You don't have to gather it so tight it lowers the neckline.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby Glennssister on Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:29 am

Look at the flowered sundress in my reply to Leighanna's post about Wildginger software.
The front neckline was too wide. I did not want to take apart the lining . to make it fit across the neck and stiill not put darts or gathering in it I put tucks. I got the Idea from something I read in Threads. I think I put seven 1/8 th inch tucks in it. They were about 1 1/2 - 2" long. That took out 7/8 Inch out of the width ogf the neckline and added a very pretty design feature. It was easy to do. In the case of your neckline. I would place the first tuck in the center and meaure from the center evenly spacing tucks out from the center placing as many as you need to take up the needed amount. I measured first and marked the placment with a disapearing ink. I decided how much width I needed to take out and decided how many eighths of and Inch that was and started marking. When i was finished with the tucks the top still needed a tiny bit more help so I stretched some clear elastic around the entire neckline starting at the zipper. I just stretched as I stitched it in. Place it between the lining and the bodice in the seamline. I didn't stretch enough to gather it up any but just enough to not let it flop outward ( just a little tension) I got the advice about the elastic from someone on SWN..

On second thought the elastic might be all you need to do. It is such a pretty dress.
Last edited by Glennssister on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glennssister

PreviousNext

Return to Basic/Beginner Sewing