Jeans?

The only stupid question is one that is never asked! Post your basic/beginner questions and tips here!

Re: Jeans?

New postby kaitlinnegan on Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:45 pm

You can do it! :applause:

Really, you can! I think we're on a similar level as far as sewing skills, and I didn't find jeans to be that difficult (knock on wood - I plan to make another pair soon). They do require patience for doing all that topstitching and dealing with the bulky seams. I believe that pattern got pretty good reviews on Pattern Review? You've probably checked that out already. Anyway, I definitely say give it a try! It's hard work, but worth it. Here's the thread with pictures of my jeans: Completed Jeans
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby bridesmom on Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:08 pm

Just a suggestion, before you buy a pattern for jeans, make sure you check out what other people have thought of the pattern (pattern review) you may save yourself some headaches. I highly recommend Sandra Betzina's jeans patterns from Vogue. A little more expensive for the pattern, but she gives fantastic directions for sewing them and a great way to do the fly front that is super easy!! Plus she has lots of fitting tips in the pattern as well. And start with a muslin again, I used a cheaper twill fabric and I still wear them cause the fit turned out really nice on the pattern I used.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby SmilieFace on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:20 pm

kaitlinnegan wrote:You can do it! :applause:

Really, you can! I think we're on a similar level as far as sewing skills, and I didn't find jeans to be that difficult (knock on wood - I plan to make another pair soon).

Maybe, after another year or two (or three!) of sewing, I will be at the level you are now. But thanks for the encouragement! :D I bought the denim (Hobby Lobby had stretch denim on sale $3.99/yard!) and pattern yesterday. I will probably make them next month. Because I'm impatient, I probably won't make a muslin... :oops:
SmilieFace

New postby ddreev on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:49 pm

I just received an e letter form Threads magazine that had tips for fitting jeans. You might find some tips on their web page.

http://www.taunton.com/threads/

Look on the left hand side of the page in the browse section under fitting.
Dorothy D.
ddreev

New postby searose on Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:13 am

hello smilieface. Check out the laltest Threads magazine April-May issue it features Sandra betzinas' newest jeans pattern with excellent instructions. lynne
searose

New postby kmccrea on Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:57 am

Jeans are actually quite easy. If you're not familiar with fly closures, just take your time and go slow. I use the Jean-a-ma-jig on a variety of thick fabrics where bulk is an issue. It really does help where those flat-felled seams cross.
Katherine McCrea
Designer At Large
kmccrea

New postby kaitlinnegan on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:44 pm

SmilieFace wrote:Maybe, after another year or two (or three!) of sewing, I will be at the level you are now. But thanks for the encouragement! :D

Hah ;) I think you flatter me too much, but regardless I think jeans are absolutely within your grasp. I know you made the pants for your suit, and jeans aren't really that different aside from using a heavier fabric and the stylistic details - topstitching, pockets, etc, which can be customized or left out to your liking.

I just came across this review for the (new?) Vogue Sandra Betzina jeans pattern: Erica B's review. Erica B is pretty advanced so sometimes she makes things sound easier than they are (or at least than they would be for me!), but she does give the pattern a really good review. I think I might actually try it for my next pair of jeans... :? She says they are high waisted, which I think is generally a good thing for me. I'm so tired of low rise jeans and the way they expose your back (or more.. :shock: ) while sitting or bending if you aren't wearing a super long shirt!
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Kaitlin, Erica B has only been sewing since around 2005 from what I have read on her blog. I think you have been sewing that long too. She challenges herself and thinks outside of the box. I'm not a great seamstress (in my opinion) even though I have been sewing for over 40 years but I do take time to read sewing books and to try things outside of my comfort zone. If I screw up, well I screw up. It's only fabric and there's plenty more where it came from. When I can, I will post some photos of my projects and clothes I have made. I think you are a great seamstress and you seem to get such a great fit. I always look forward to seeing what you have finished.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby kaitlinnegan on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:52 pm

Hey Marty! Just when you had me thinking, "Wow! Hey, maybe I really could be as good as Erica B..." I looked at her patternreview profile: Erica B. According to that she has been sewing for 20+ years. :(

But, regardless, I know you are totally right in your encouragement. :D I know if I challenge myself I can really be surprised by what I can accomplish, and I think the same is true for everyone, especially if you aren't used to pushing your limits. It's easy to forget that and be intimidated by what seems like an "advanced" project. I'd love to see pictures of your projects, Marty!
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:14 am

Kaitlin, sorry if I gave out wrong info. Most of my projects are works in progress or items I give away. Most of my sewing lately has been for family and friends or community service projects. I'm still learning to work my digital cameras and will have DD help me transfer some of my photos to the laptop while she is home. I'll pull out some older outfits from my closet and photograph so I can post them for you to see.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

PreviousNext

Return to Basic/Beginner Sewing