Lengthen a buttonhole?

The only stupid question is one that is never asked! Post your basic/beginner questions and tips here!

Re: Lengthen a buttonhole?

New postby Sewing Lady on Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:39 pm

Hey Dorothy, That would be the way to do it. But I am a firm believer that anyway that gets the job down and looks good is the only way to go.

BTW, Thanks for the complement.
Leighanna
"To love what you do and feel that it matters -- how could anything be more fun?"
Katharine Graham - Washington Post
Sewing Lady

New postby paroper on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:14 pm

Samller buttons is the easy way to go and they'll look nicer too. However, I have been known to take the bar tack out of the end of the button hole and then line things up and make it larger. Usually there is a slight lump where the stitches overlap.

As far as using a seam ripper, I usually use my sharpest pair of Gingher embroidery scissors but I also sometimes use a seam ripper. The way to use the seam ripper is to put the point down in one end and the bring it back up in the button hole or at the other end. Then push the ripper toward the point. It will follow the opening. I've done this from the center of a large button hole or from the sides of a small button hole. I never have cut the stitches on one with the ripper yet while using this method. If I use the Gingher scissors, I fold the button hole in half and make a small slit, then I put the sharp point of the scissors through the hole and gently cut.

I had a pair of button hole scissors but I've mislaid them since I moved to Mom's house. They had a hole in the back portion of the scissors so that they only cut about 5/8 or 3/4 of an inch at a time and then there was a screw where you could adjust this amount down to a smaller amount.
pam

Bernina 200e, Artista V5 Designer Plus, Explorations, Magic Box, Bernina 2000DE & 335 Bernette Serger, Bernina 1530 Sewing Machine, Bernina 1300 DC Overlock (with coverstitch)
paroper

New postby DorothyL on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:30 am

Hey, there's Pam!!
I was thinking of you a couple days ago when I was making a jersey shirt and I pulled the threads to ease in a sleeve rather than stretched the jersey. I said to myself "Pam would be proud to see this."
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby keljo60 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:31 am

I've gone past the bar tack with the ripper too. Ugh!!! What I do now is use sharp snips to open the center of the opening, then carefully snip open the ends. I haven't had a problem since! I like the straight pin at the end though.
Kelly
keljo60

New postby kmccrea on Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:10 pm

smaller buttons, definately. sorry, there is really no good way to lengthen buttonholes once they are cut. you would have to put the openings back together and that will never look good.
as far as cutting them open, i use a chisel and block. too many times have i ripped past the ends and pins always dull the ripper in next to no time. fewer tears with the chisel.
Katherine McCrea
Designer At Large
kmccrea

Previous

Return to Basic/Beginner Sewing