Is the Brother Se400 a good machine?

Machine recommendations, tips, and techniques for embroidery machines.

Is the Brother Se400 a good machine?

New postby lori on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:35 am

Hi guys,
I have some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket and I like the look of the Brother SE400. It seems to have a good feature-set for the asking price, and I recently found out that there's a tonne on patterns online that can be downloaded.

I was wondering whether anyone here has experience of this machine and whether it's worth investing in.
Thx

Lori
lori

Re: Is the Brother Se400 a good machine?

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:54 am

It is a good basic machine for a beginner to machine embroidery ... my only draw back would be that to import embroidery designs from the internet, your computer has to be sitting right next to it. If I were looking for a machine, I would go with one that uses a flash drive to import embroidery designs.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby temom on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Hi Lori, and Welcome!
I don't have this particular machine, but we do have 3 Brother machines at my house, and I can't say enough about them, I love them so much! I have a $200.00 serger that I bought about 6 years ago and it is still going strong. I have a PE700ii stand alone embroidery machine (it does not sew, just embroidery) that has the computer connectivity that is probably the same as the Se400 , and then my daughter has a SQ900 sewing machine. My daughter's sewing machine sews better than my pricey Viking!

The connectivity hooks into the usb drive of your computer, and into the side of your machine. I usually borrow hubby's laptop to load designs, since my machines are in a different room than my desktop computer. I haven't found it to be any problem to do.

So I would say that yes, it would be a good machine for embroidering. Just be patient, and start out with the preloaded designs first, until you get the hang of it. Then when you want to branch out with other designs, my favorite place is http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/Default.aspx In fact, it is the only place I buy designs. Every week they put a ton of designs on sale for either a dollar or a dollar fifty. You may want to sign up for their email newsletter.
Theresa
temom

New postby lori on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:01 am

MartySews2 wrote:It is a good basic machine for a beginner to machine embroidery ... my only draw back would be that to import embroidery designs from the internet, your computer has to be sitting right next to it. If I were looking for a machine, I would go with one that uses a flash drive to import embroidery designs.
Marty ;)

Hi and thanks for the response!
I have a laptop, so the computer issue shouldn't be too much of a biggie.
I agree - the flash drive socket would be great.

Lori
lori

Return to Embroidery Machines