embroidery thread

Machine recommendations, tips, and techniques for embroidery machines.

embroidery thread

New postby delap on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:29 am

anyone know why embroidery thread keeps breaking?
delap

Re: embroidery thread

New postby temom on Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:44 am

I had just read about this a few days ago. Here is part of it, from http://www.allbrands.com/images2/common ... tions.html

Upper thread breaks
1) Upper threading is not correct
2) Upper thread tension is set too high/tight
3) Upper thread is too large for the needle eye
4) Needle is inserted incorrectly
5) Incorrect spool cap
6) Shuttle Hook/Inner Rotary is not installed correctly
7) Incorrect bobbin being used

Lower thread breaks
1) Lower thread could be entangled in shuttle
2) Lower thread tension is set to high/tight
3) Lower threading is not correct
4) Shuttle Hook/Inner Rotary is not installed correctly
5) Incorrect bobbin being used
6) Burns on the needle plate

Also, it may be the brand isn't quite right for your projects. For example, I have a Brother something or other (I have a headache and can't think too straight right now), and I bought a Polystar thread collection with it. The thread collection worked beautifully on pre-programmed designs that came with my machine. But was horrid for purchased designs (from a reputable place). I switched over to Madeira, and it works like a charm. I can use the polystar for less dense purchased designs, and on thread colors that don't have too many stitches, otherwise I use the Madeira or Coats and Clark (and yes, a lot of people hate C&C, but it works great on my machine).

Also, I would suggest rethreading (thread and bobbin), and changing your needle. My motto for both my sewing machine and embroidery machine is this: If you are absolutely positive you have somehow broken your machine, change the needle. Like magic, the machine is fixed!"

What kind of machine do you have? Maybe someone has the same machine and can offer pointers on what thread works for them.
Theresa
temom

New postby lendube on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:32 pm

Great info, Theresa. Is it breaking or shredding? When mine shreds I change my needle and it almost always takes care of the problem. I use Madeira almost exclusively and love it, Polyneon 40.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:48 pm

Great info Theresa. I was going to suggest changing the needle to an embroidery needle or sharp as well as checking the brand of thread. Be sure to use the proper stabilizer for the project & fabric as that can effect the way the design stitches.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:16 pm

My suggestion - is the thread old? You can always try sticking the thread in a ziplock bag and sticking it into the freezer overnight, bring it out and let it come to room temp in the bag, seems to help with the moisture content in the thread. If you try a different thread and it doesn't break, it may be your thread. Do you have any 'Sew Smooth' lubricant? I have used this on old thread, put a few drops along the side of the spool and it helps. Change the needle also to a topstitch needle, the larger eye is easier on the thread.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Return to Embroidery Machines