To top or not to top.

Machine recommendations, tips, and techniques for embroidery machines.

To top or not to top.

New postby lendube on Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:39 pm

I just recently bought some very nice quality 100% cotton waffle weave kitchen towels. I want to embroider on them. Since the surface is not even should I top do you think? I know topping is usually for plush but......... Any other hints?
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: To top or not to top.

New postby bridesmom on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Never hurts.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby ninifav on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:57 pm

i think that using a topping will help the embroidery stand up a little better...
Paula
ninifav

New postby esrun3 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:51 pm

I've embroidered on them..I always use a water soluble on top of those-it seems to help and open designs seem to work a littel better than heavy filled ones. Be sure to show us what you do!
Lyn
esrun3

New postby lendube on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:39 pm

HI LYN!

Over the last several days I kept thinking I needed to post a "Where's Lyn?" post. I then remembered that you usually show up on Thursdays so I was going to wait till tomorrow if you didn't show up.

How's the weather? We are frying but the last few days there's been high humidity and right now it's 86 and it looks like we're in for some thunderstorms. Pretty ominous. :anxious:

So glad to see you!

Thanks for the tips. Hoping to do a little sewing this afternoon. First got to clean those bathrooms! :eh:
Lennie

lendube

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:08 pm

I would use a water-soluble topping. On any fabric with a nap or textured weave, I use water-soluble toppings.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby esrun3 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi Lennie,

I've been away-work has been so busy lately there is very little "breathing" room and with my dd working nights, I have her 3 little ones most nights to watch until her boyfriend gets home from work. I've been trying to eke out some sewing time here and there and have pics to post-just haven't had time to get them uploaded. I felt like I was getting nothing accomplished so I started keeping a list each month of finished projects..funny, I get more done than I feel like I do so that makes me very happy!!

The weather is hot and sticky here altho this weekend it is supposed to go back into the high 90's (like 99) for a change so that will be nice. Not much rain with the monsoon season this year but quite a bit of humidity.

Well, back to the grind, I'll try to check in more often as time permits. Glad to see everyone is doing well around here!! :)
Lyn
esrun3

New postby lendube on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Here's a picture of the towels I embroidered for dd and dfiance. He's an arborist so ANYTHING with trees, leaves, greenery, etc. is highly prized by both of them. ;) I wish the lettering in the "Nature Rocks" towel was a little lighter but overall I think they embroidered up very nicely. I did the "Plant A Tree" first and used regular old topping. Couldn't have chosen a worse emb. to use that on. I was picking the stuff out of the spaces for quite a while. On the other two I used a water soluable and could have used the first type since they were so dense. The "Green Man" was 25,000 stitches and took forever.

Lennie

lendube

New postby Pudge99 on Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:07 pm

The green man is cool! I almost always use water soluable on top so I don't have to pick, but I guess my advice is a bit late. I would love to find that waffle weave fabric as yardage. I like big towels and the only ones I can find in that fabric are small.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

New postby temom on Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:16 pm

Lennie, I really like those. Do you put a backing on them or leave the back as is?
Theresa
temom

Next

Return to Embroidery Machines