Needle to use on t-shirts and polos

Machine recommendations, tips, and techniques for embroidery machines.

Needle to use on t-shirts and polos

New postby SmilieFace on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:21 am

I want to do some embroidery on a polo t-shirt. What needle do I use? Will a regular embroidery needle work? Or do I pick up a large ballpoint needle?
SmilieFace
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Re: Needle to use on t-shirts and polos

New postby lendube on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:38 am

I use a regular sz 14 sharp embroidery needle. I also do it hoopless on sticky stabilizer so it doesn't stretch out.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
User avatar
lendube
 
Posts: 3249
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:52 am
Location: So. Calif. Mtns.

Re: Needle to use on t-shirts and polos

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:17 pm

It depends on the weight of the T-shirt. Sometimes, I use a size 10 or 12 embroidery needle if the T-shirt is thin. For fleece or thicker T-shirts, I use a size 14.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2
 
Posts: 3978
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:28 am
Location: Memphis, TN

Re: Needle to use on t-shirts and polos

New postby SmilieFace on Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:49 pm

lendube wrote:I use a regular sz 14 sharp embroidery needle. I also do it hoopless on sticky stabilizer so it doesn't stretch out.

Thanks. I don't have any of sticky stabilizer. Will I be fine using a cutaway and hooping the t-shirt? Assuming I don't stretch the t-shirt while hooping?

So, just for my own clarification. A "regular" embroidery needle is fine for t-shirts and other knits?
SmilieFace
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Re: Needle to use on t-shirts and polos

New postby temom on Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi Smilie,

I'm happy to hear you are using the embroidery function of your machine. :dance:

Yes, you want to use an embroidery needle. My brother specifies either a 12 or 14 (embroidery) needle, but since yours is a combo, it might be able to use a smaller needle. I would think a 12 embroidery needle would be just about right.

Are you familiar with hoopless embroidery? I bought a can of fabric adhesive at Jo-Ann's (using the 40% off coupon) called Dritz Spray Adhesive. You hoop just the stabilizer, then spray it with the spray (protect the hoop if you can so it doesn't get sticky. If it does get sticky, a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton puff will take it right off). Now you have a hoop with sticky stabilizer. You put your garment on the sticky stabilizer. Now I would suggest either basting around the perimeter of the hooped part of the garment (be sure to use a long stitch), or pin it in place.

No matter which hooping method you use, hooping both the garment and the stabilizer or just the stabilizer with the sticky spray, I would suggest a cut away stabilizer. I was using tear away, but sometimes it droops after a while. I guess it depends on how heavy the garment is.

Good luck, and let us know how it comes out.
Theresa
User avatar
temom
 
Posts: 1584
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:34 pm
Location: Southeastern United States

Re: Needle to use on t-shirts and polos

New postby sewingmom on Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:20 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: Its great to hear from you. I hope you are enjoying your newer location.
sewingmom
 
Posts: 2007
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:02 am

Re: Needle to use on t-shirts and polos

New postby Chrysantha on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:56 am

You really NEED to use a sticky to keep the fabric from stretching. You don't want to hoop the fabric STRETCHED, cause when it's washed all the fabric goes back in shape and the embroidery is ruined.
So you NEED some spray or sticky stabilizer. Just a cut away will NOT work. (I've been doing t-shirts, etc for 7 yrs now...trust me on this...using anything BUT a sticky will make you crazy)
Since you're going to be using a sticky a 14 embroidery needle will be fine... :D
Chrysantha
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:16 pm

Re: Needle to use on t-shirts and polos

New postby SmilieFace on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:21 am

sewingmom wrote::applause: :applause: :applause: Its great to hear from you. I hope you are enjoying your newer location.

I am! Thanks for asking. We had a week off classes last week, so I wanted to try a bit of embroidery while I had some free time.

Chrysantha wrote:You really NEED to use a sticky to keep the fabric from stretching. You don't want to hoop the fabric STRETCHED, cause when it's washed all the fabric goes back in shape and the embroidery is ruined.
So you NEED some spray or sticky stabilizer. Just a cut away will NOT work. (I've been doing t-shirts, etc for 7 yrs now...trust me on this...using anything BUT a sticky will make you crazy)

Hmmm...I guess I'll need to buy the spray. If I use the spray, does it matter if I use cutaway or tearaway with the spray? I'll have to wait until JoAnns has a 50% off coupon again...My grad student budget no longer allows for splurges!

temom wrote:Are you familiar with hoopless embroidery? I bought a can of fabric adhesive at Jo-Ann's (using the 40% off coupon) called Dritz Spray Adhesive. You hoop just the stabilizer, then spray it with the spray (protect the hoop if you can so it doesn't get sticky. If it does get sticky, a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton puff will take it right off). Now you have a hoop with sticky stabilizer. You put your garment on the sticky stabilizer. Now I would suggest either basting around the perimeter of the hooped part of the garment (be sure to use a long stitch), or pin it in place.

The instructor for my "intro to embroidery" class taught us one type of hoopless embroidery. We hooped the stabilitzer, then basted around the perimeter. We did not use sticky spray (we were just dealing with material too thick to hoop), but I think I understand how it works.

Thanks for all the tips!
SmilieFace
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Ann Arbor, MI



Return to Embroidery Machines


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron