Hoop Marks

Machine recommendations, tips, and techniques for embroidery machines.

Hoop Marks

New postby temom on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:23 pm

I was doing a test stitch on a tee shirt - 96% cotton 4% spandex, and after unhopping, I have hoop marks. Are these permanent?
I did a test stitch a week or so ago, and after many many issues, I had to take the embroidery unit off to clean the bobbin area out, and I lost my design which had to be adjusted as to where the center of the design was. I tried to take the stitches out with peggy's stitch eraser, but ended up with holes in the shirt. I also noticed hoop marks, but as the shirt had been sitting in the hoop for a week or so, I thought it was from that.

I received my new Madiera thread, and tried another stitch out tonight, which was beautiful. But after unhooping, I find I have hoop marks again. What is it? Does it rub the pigment off the shirt? The shirt is a light dusty blue, and the hoop marks are an even lighter dustier blue.
Theresa
temom

Re: Hoop Marks

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:28 pm

The hoop marks may come out when it is washed. I would hoop the stabilizer & not the T-shirt to avoid hoop marks.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby lendube on Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:09 am

I always hoop the sticky stabilizer with t-shirts and with just about every knit I embroider. I really like the Sulky, Sticky+, Self-Adhesive, Tear-Away Stabilizer. 12"x6 yd rolls go for about $24.00 but I always buy it at JoAnn's with a 40% off coupon so it's not too bad. Tried Wet and Stick by Floriani and just can't stand it. What a pain. It's either too wet and won't let go of the fabric or it's not wet enough and doesn't stick. Not recommended AT ALL. :evil:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby temom on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:00 pm

Well the hoop marks did wash out. I'm on the fence as to hooping the tshirt or not. I'll probably hoop the stabilizer and use the sticky spray and baste with my sewing machine.
Theresa
temom

New postby bridesmom on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:18 pm

I try not to hoop knits ever, cause I have had it where the hoop mark doesn't come out and that is a real p**s off. I did get a really excellent method from a woman on another site that uses blue painters tape and it works absolutely perfectly. And it works on all types of fabric, at least all that I've tried so far! If you are interested in a copy of it, PM me with your email address and I'll email it off to you. You have to wait until I get back home though
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby temom on Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:40 pm

Laura, that sounds great. I'll send you a PM. I actually started to several hours ago, but was interrupted. Now I'm waiting for my chicken soup to finish (the other kid came home from school with a fever), so I'm taking a breather.
Theresa
temom

New postby lendube on Sat May 29, 2010 1:18 pm

Reviving this post because I have an answer. And it works!

Embroidering t-shirts I used the sticky but when I moved on to the sweatshirts I got the hoop marks. Consulted our archive and since Laura's out of town I couldn't ask for her solution. Left the shirt sitting out all night and no better. This morning I had an idea. I used a small spray bottle and sprayed just the hoop marks with water. Then I threw the sweatshirt into the dryer for 15 min. at med. heat and voila! no more hoop marks. Since these shirts are for other people I didn't want to wash the whole thing nor did I want to give the shirts with hoop marks on them. I'll do a batch at a time next.

Whoopie! :dance:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby bridesmom on Sun May 30, 2010 12:02 pm

Lennie, I'll send you the painter's tape method later on today. It works like a charm.
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

New postby pinkfrog on Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Spray the shirt with spray starch when you remove it from the hoop and let it dry. Doesn't have to be a heavy coat of the spray starch.
This has worked great for me.
Thanks
pinkfrog

New postby bridesmom on Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:04 pm

HI pinkfrog. Do you find after you wash the item that you get hoop marks again, or does it seem to get rid of them permanently?
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

Return to Embroidery Machines