Do you babysit your embroidery machine?

Machine recommendations, tips, and techniques for embroidery machines.

Re: Do you babysit your embroidery machine?

New postby pucktricks on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:41 pm

I totally babysit the thing. Everytime I haven't something goes wrong.

Ticia
pucktricks

New postby carman on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:02 pm

i think i should counting my lucky stars ;) the only time i really have any thread issues is if i use older thread and the odd design just seems to be a thread breaker for some reason and i flag it to never to be used again.

those 3 -4 hour designs are one color FSL ones, hit the machine on, and off to sleep or housework :D or i will just sew on my other machine and listen to it purr, my husband thinks it is just to cool that i leave it and will sit with him and watch TV lol. it is the designs with 25 color changes that are agonizing, ugh. yet i pursue and do them, i do ask myself why sometimes lol

carman
carman

New postby Magot on Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:24 pm

I tend to think having to sit over it defeats the object of having a machine to do it for you....
love and kisses, Jan
Guts-R-Us
Cells a Speciality
DNA to order
A Womb with a View
Dog Jumpers AOK
Microbe mania
Magot

New postby lendube on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:37 pm

I disagree, Jan. First of all it's just fun to watch. :dance: It's so amazing from a technological standpoint. Secondly a design is usually made up of different colors and you're going to be there changing those out every few minutes anyway. As I've said, my designs can be no larger than 4x4 (100x100) and so I'm dealing with 1-15 color changes and between 10 and 30 minutes at the most depending on the density and/or number of colors I'm dealing with.

I never would have gotten an embroidery machine had we not come across such an incredible deal but since having it I've enjoyed it tremendously.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:11 pm

Jan, I do hand embroidery as well as machine embroidery & like machine embroidery the best. There are so many designs that can be downloaded from the internet that the possibilities are unlimited. My machine only does 4 x 4 designs but that hasn't stopped me from trying larger designs (in practice only). Most of the things that I embroider only need a 4 x 4 design anyway. I love sprucing up my linens & doing embroidered sweatshirts, T-shirts, pillowcases, etc for my family members at Christmas. I wouldn't be able to do that without an embroidery machine.

Carman, what make & model of embroidery machine do you have? My dream one day is to get the Babylock BMP8 to do larger designs in a shorter period of time. However, I don't do that much embroidery to justify the expense plus I have no place to put it. But, it is fun to dream.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby esrun3 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:54 pm

I tend to be in the same room working or sewing something when I'm embroidering..will stay to the kitchen or bath for a few minutes but don't usually go for long. I really babysit if it's a tshirt or something a bit tight when it comes to hooping. Usually if there's a problem it's thread breaking or something minor altho I was working on a towel the other day and the needle slipped out. Thankfully I was babysitting and stopped the machine before any damage was done-never had that one happen before, you can be sure I really tighten that screw now!
Lyn
esrun3

New postby bridesmom on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:14 pm

Lyn took the words right out of my mouth. I will set my old Pfaff up and sew on it, or serge things, or cut out something else and just listen to the embroidery machine. It seems to make a different noise when something has gone wrong. I've been lucky so far and had my needle fall out just when it's stopped for a color change. I also tend to loose my needle when freemotion quilting, so I have learned to check it many times while doing either procedure.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby carman on Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:57 am

Marty i have the Pfaff Creative Vision, worth the price of a small car, but i LOVE it ;)

i sew too on my other machine as usually when i am in the mode to embroider, i am in the mood to sew lol.

carman
carman

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:20 pm

Oh, Carman, that is beauty. I've played with it at my dealer's store but don't want to give up my 7570 just yet.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Previous

Return to Embroidery Machines