Bernina Artista 180E

Machine recommendations, tips, and techniques for embroidery machines.

Bernina Artista 180E

New postby madlover on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:12 pm

I recently acquired an Artista 180E. I've been able to use the machine just fine using the cards it came with but want to venture into using designs I make and or purchase online. How do I start? Here's a list of my questions:

-do I need an empty personal design card?
-do I need a cable to run from ther machine to my computer?
-what software do I need?

I'm running Windows XP.

Thanks in advance! I've been searching the internet and feel really confused at this point. Some people seem to use a magic box while some just use AutoDesign version 3. I really would appreciate any help at all - even if it's just a link!
Last edited by madlover on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:: artista 180 ::
madlover

Re: Bernina Artista 180

New postby lendube on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi Madlover and welcome. I can't help. I have a Viking and use 3D Design. It's a whole different set-up. Someone will be along to help, I'm sure. There's a wealth of information here. You might also check Yahoo Groups - I'm sure there will be a board specific to your machine. Hang around here too. We'd love to help you however we can.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: Bernina Artista 180E

New postby madlover on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:23 pm

Thanks Lennie.

This is all so confusing. I'm pretty certain the machine originally came with software but we're unable to locate it. It was my grandfather's machine, but he passed away. :(
madlover

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:30 pm

Madlover,
Found thru a search that the Bernina 180 has a dongle. It's A Stitch has a Bernina Mastery workbook for the 170/180 on their website. They may be able to tell you more about the machine & what software is needed. Here is their link. http://www.itsastitchonline.com/mastery ... -11-02.pdf Hope this helps.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby madlover on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:28 pm

I've made progress!!! I went to my local Bernina dealer and spent a good 20 minutes getting a ton of help!

In order to connect my computer to my machine I purchased:
-a serial port cable from the dealer ($18)
-an adaptor from Fry's that was recommended by the dealer ($19.99). She said this was the adaptor that her 180 students used. (Cables Unlimited USB 2.0 to TS232 Serial Adapter)

She also recommended that I contact the original dealer that my grandfather purchased the machine from and have the warranty transferred to my name. This would also allow me take Bernina embroidery classes. I called them and they actually seemed to remember my grandfather!

I also need to have the machine serviced so that it gets any updates.

All that's left is the software. She recommended the Explorations Embroidery Software so I'm looking into that.

Thanks everyone!
madlover

New postby bridesmom on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:10 pm

My sister has that machine and loves it. She has the software design package for it and also got a magic box to transfer designs from her computer to her machine as her computer was on one side of the room and the bernina on the other.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Return to Embroidery Machines