my new serger

Machine recommendations plus tips and techniques for using these special machines.

my new serger

New postby judypudy on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:17 pm

:lol: :roll: well it's late evening sunday and i finally got around to opening my new serger. :applause:
(i had both grandsons off & on this weekend so couldn't get to ANY sooner!!) anyway i THINK i actually
got it threaded the first go around. put a couple pieces of old cut up t-shirt thru it & i LOOKs good to me.
now WHAT???? LOL only kidding. gonna keep working on scrap pieces to actually see what it/i can do. :dance:
i don't have a clue what i am actually do on it yet. sure something will come to mind. :brick:
i went to joann's today with oldest grandson armed with 4 coupons for serger thread. i got some maxi-lock
b/c somewhere i read that was a pretty good brand to use. they didn't have any needles for this machine, but
mind you the lady said that THIS machine is gonna be their door buster after thanksgiving...told her "you MIGHT want to carry
the needles for the machine then!!!! " sorry to be sooo long winded but i am soooo :dance: excited. thanks for
listening. later.... judy
judypudy

Re: my new serger

New postby carman on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:01 pm

i new sewing machine is almost as good as the smell of a new car ;)

carman
carman

New postby chris b on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:40 pm

Congratulations! What kind of needle does it take? I have to order my ELneedles for my Elna but you really only need those for the coverstich, otherwise I just use regular Schmetz.
chris b

New postby chris b on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:44 pm

I looked up your serger using google and this review says that you can use regular sewing needles?
http://products.howstuffworks.com/singer-14sh654-sewing-machine-review.htm wonder if that is right?
chris b

New postby judypudy on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:20 am

Chris , i might try to use some reg. needles. the manual says it uses Singer #2022, but it also says
in an EMERGENCY you can use 2020 but it may skip stitches with those. so i don't know, i thought about ordering
from that place online that someone put (i'm sorry forgot who did that) they have like 40 needles for 9.99, don't know
what the s&h is though. you get 20 of ea. 2 sizes. (that's only like .25 ea.) i paid 4something at walmart yesterday
for 5 needles. right now i need to find a hex head wrench, it was NOT in the acces. box. i guess you need
that to change the stitch width. judy
judypudy

New postby judypudy on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:23 am

ok, here is the site Grandma C posted.
http://www.sewvacdirect.com/search.php? ... acessories
judypudy

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:06 am

Another supply place for needles is http://www.discountembroiderysupplies.com. I buy all of my sewing/embroidery/serger needles from them as they have free shipping. I found this link on the old SWN website.
Marty
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby judypudy on Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:51 am

marty,
i can't get that link to work???? judy :brick:
judypudy

New postby Glennssister on Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:53 am

Judy, this is the site I got 100 needles for 19.99 They had the exact needle my serger requires.

http://www.organ-needles.com/
Glennssister

New postby Glennssister on Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:26 am

I copied this from allbrands.com web site

These Singer 2022 serger needles were developed for the Singer 14u595 serger that is exactly the same serger machine as the Pfaff 4870 serger both made by Mika Sieki in Osaka, Japan.

Singer 2022 serger needles are recommended by Singer for any brand serger that takes regular flat shank home sewing machine needles. They are comparable to Schmetz ELX705 and Organ 15x1SP serger needles. All these serger needles have an elongated scarf on the back of the needle designed for better loop formation in sergers whose speed exceeds that of a regular sewing machine.

Older Singer 14U Japan sergers take small flat shank Singer 2054 serger needles. The Singer 14u64 takes Singer 2045 needles to prevent skipped stitches or 2022 regular serger needles.

Older model Singer 14u12 and 13 blue front Japan sergers take BLx1 needles (same as industrial 16x231 and 16x257)

Singer 2022 needles are interchangeable with Schmetz 130/705H ELX Serger needles and Organ HAx1SP serger needles. Both needles have the traditional long groove on the front of the needle and have an additional groove on the back of the needle to facilitate high speed sewing up to 1500 stitches per minute.

It says that organ brand needles will work. Not the same size as mine but the organ needle website has great prices
Glennssister

Next

Return to Sergers/Overlockers