Rolled Edge Hem

Machine recommendations plus tips and techniques for using these special machines.

Rolled Edge Hem

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Fri May 09, 2014 10:10 am

I just finished my first rolled hem project on my new Lauren serger from Babylock. It is 18 months old and I finally got the nerve to attempt it. I made several samples to make sure my settings were working right and then I hemmed 6 napkins to match 6 of the placemats I am donating as door prizes at our Festival of Tables later this month. I am really pleased with how they turned out. My 22 year old Companion 2040 from Babylock was the direct ancestor of this new Lauren. 3/4 thread bottom of the line kind of serger, but it is what I can use every day. Such a workhorse. I love it ! ! Now to finish the other 24 napkins to complete all 3 sets. Placemats are finished. 3 sets of 6. Napkins will match each side, in sets of 6. I purchased pre-quilted fabric and only had to cut them and round the corners and serge with pretty thread to finish the placemats.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

Re: Rolled Edge Hem

New postby temom on Tue May 13, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi Libby,
My tummy goes flip floppity when someone says "rolled edge" or "rolled hem" or "rolled edge hem". Congratulations on making it work! Did you write down your settings?
I am happy to hear your new baby is working well!
Theresa
temom

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Wed May 14, 2014 7:18 am

Saved Samples with different settings written down and attached. This serger has rolled hem methods 1 and 2. tried both and liked plan b better than the first one. it looked more professional. I am so glad I did it. My old serger was so far gone that it had failed me on that.(rolled hems) Now I am looking at some more to do , just because I loved the way it turned out. Will be a nice gift for someone.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby MartySews2 on Wed May 14, 2014 9:17 am

Libby, a rolled hem stretched gently on the bottom of a T-shirt makes a lovely lettuce edge. Or you can do this on a ruffled edge. Our Babylocks are awesome!!!
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Wed May 14, 2014 4:38 pm

Yes Marty, I haven't tried the differential feed out yet, but that is one thing I was looking forward to. My old sergerdid not have diff. feed and everytime I tried to do lettuce edging , I would end up breaking a needle. (too much tugging). That is one thing I have enjoyed with the Lauren. If it will last half as long as my first one, I will be happy. 22 years on # 1. and I only paid $279.00 for it. This new one was really almost the same machine. Few improvements are Diff Feed, better instructions, including a DVD which is great, and a few other items. new one was not on sale so it was the regular $ 300.00. Still a bargain ! I really like it and now I fly on it like I used to on the old one. I kinda took it easy at first, til I got used to it.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

Return to Sergers/Overlockers