finishing the raw edge of spandex

Machine recommendations plus tips and techniques for using these special machines.

finishing the raw edge of spandex

New postby Glennssister on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:24 am

I have posted in the area of garment sewing that I am working on a piece of (sexy) sleepwear where I must make a bra like support in the gown. I am puzzling over the edge finish of the neck and straps and armscye. all exposed edges. This portion of the garment is spandex which I will overlay with stretch nylon. The lace has a high neck in back and the spandex is cut down in a scoop. I am not sure how to set my serger to roll the edge without stretching it out. The garment is black and I do have a couple of cones of extra wooly nylon in black. Why oh why do I think I need to redesign every outfit I make??? It gets me into so much distress!!! :doh: :brick: :oops:
Would a rolled edge work on the stretch lace??? I guess I would need to use a piede of sheer nylon along the edge or should I just do a rolled hem over someblack cord of some sort?? What sort? How?
Where would I be without all my SWU mentors. :lol: :lol:
Glennssister

Re: finishing the raw edge of spandex

New postby Glennssister on Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:27 am

I think I have it figured out. I will fold the edge over slightly stretched narrow elastic. That is how spandex is finished for swimsuits I know and gymnastics wear I think.
Glennssister

Return to Sergers/Overlockers