I wonder if this is true?

Machine recommendations plus tips and techniques for using these special machines.

I wonder if this is true?

New postby lendube on Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:20 pm

And does she mean just sergers or the machines in general? Anyone know anything about this?

Question:

I was wondering whether the s25 and Pfaff Coverlock 4.0 are virtually identical or are there some important differences and if so, what are they?

Answer:

Viking makes Pfaff, so yes they are the virtually the same machine. Usually Viking will release a new machine under the pfaff name, then take the comments, make changes and release it under the Viking name.

--- In VikingS25users@ yahoogroups. com,

>
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: I wonder if this is true?

New postby bridesmom on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:07 am

I had heard somewhere that Pfaff had been sold but I don't remember where. It's a pity if it's true, as viking never made a machine as good as the Pfaff in my opinion. Now that Judy has so much time on her hands, being that she's retired, maybe she can research it for us? :D
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby HeyJudee on Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:43 am

bridesmom wrote:Now that Judy has so much time on her hands, being that she's retired, maybe she can research it for us? :D

Sitting here spewing my coffee all over the keyboard... :o
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby temom on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:33 am

One company owns Husqvarna Viking, Pfaff, and Singer. I couldn't tell you if their marketing strategy is true or not, but here is the company's web page:
http://www.svpworldwide.com/index.html
Theresa
temom

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:16 am

In 2001, the Pfaff home sewing division was sold to SVP & the factories in Germany that made Pfaff machines were closed. The machines are now manufactured primarily in China according to each division's specifications. Supposedly, according to some USA Pfaff techs who were laid off, Pfaff required all of the parts, manuals, etc to be destroyed. The USA techs saved this stuff so there are some websites in which these things can be obtained. I imagine as cost cutting measures, the same designs would be used in making the new machines. To me, the new ones are just not Pfaff machines (quality, precision, etc) anymore. This is just my opinion.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:30 pm

Very interesting Marty. I know that I sure did love my old Pfaff but since I am not in the market for a new machine and probably won't be for a very very very long time that I don't really keep up on what's happening with the machines. I do know that the Emerald 203 Husqvarna machine my MIL bought that I have is not a favorite of mine, it just seems very awkward to use. It seems to be the way of the economy, that companies are buying up smaller companies and the quality seems to deteriorate in the products.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

New postby DorothyL on Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:25 am

I love my Pfaff sewing machine. I think it was one of the last models before the company was sold. It says made in Germany on it. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but it is a workhorse and strong as an ox.
My Pfaff serger, on the other hand, not so much love. It's a good machine and does a lot of stuff -- is a cover stitch machine too -- but we've never really bonded.

Dorothy
DorothyL

Return to Sergers/Overlockers