Help!!! please with my singer serger 14U64A

Machine recommendations plus tips and techniques for using these special machines.

Help!!! please with my singer serger 14U64A

New postby tealee27 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:59 am

I have inherited this older model singer serger....but it has no manual. I have been an avid sewer for 20 years, but have never had occasion to use a serger, but my sister insists it will change my life! :lol:
I used the threading diagram inside the door, it was a bit difficult getting the needles threaded, but I think I got it....it works, but the tensions are all out of whack. Does anyone use this machine and would be able to give me some tips, or what tension settings you use? Does this machine use standard sewing machine needles? Or any idea where to get a copy of the manual?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!
tealee27

Re: Help!!! please with my singer serger 14U64A

New postby sewingmom on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:37 pm

Allbrands.com may have a copy of the manual.! Your sewing machine dealer should be able to locate one for you if allbrands doesn't have one or the Singer web site.

Edited.2:05 PM
:( Allbrands didn't seem to have one. I found one here.
http://www.sew4less.com/product_details ... ductID=889

I hope you find what you need. Have a great day!! :)
sewingmom

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:28 pm

When I purchased my serger (back in the dark ages ) the salesman told me to leave the thread as it was till I sewed several different weights and types of fabrics.. Each thread was a different color.. I did a lot of testing and adjusting the tensions on the needles and loopers before I was satisfied, but when I got them to my liking I wrote down any changes I would make from then on.. I keep that list in my desk drawer at all times.. Just last year I saw a program Nancy Zieman did on sergers, and she used the same idea. (different thread colors for each) It really helps.. And I use the piggyback method of changing threads in the loopers..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:14 pm

The Singer website has a manual for your serger. It is $15.00 & can be found here http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html Hope this helps.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Persi on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi everyone, I also just inherited a singer serger (14U64a) from my mother, who purchased it many years ago. She's passed away now and my sister held it a long time before giving it to me. Needless to say, I have no idea how it works and, of course, there's no manual. I did thread it successfully from the diagram on the door, but it doesn't have any needles. Does it require double needles? I will go to the links posted on the other posts, but I may be back for more help.

I also inherited a Janome New Home 620, which I cannot find listed anywhere!!! It's as though it never existed. Has anyone heard of this machine? I think it is an embroidery type machine, and, of course, there's no manual for that either.

It's frustrating having machines that don't work. :doh:
Persi

New postby Alexalter on Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:23 am

Your serger will require a 2 needles. I have the same serger, also from my mother) it tells you on the front, above the needles that it uses a special singer needle, but I know that I have used just regular singer sewing needles. I always have to watch if I am sewing knits or wovens and change the needles depending on the project. Hope that helps. :anxious: As for the machine, I can't help you there.
Alexalter

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:00 am

Here is a link for a manual for your Janome 620 sewing machine. http://www.sewingstyle.com/janome-new-home-620.html I do not believe this is an embroidery machine though it may have decorative stitches. You can probably get a manual for your serger at the Singer website. Happy Sewing!
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Return to Sergers/Overlockers