singer Ultralock 14U64A

Machine recommendations plus tips and techniques for using these special machines.

singer Ultralock 14U64A

New postby judymo on Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:54 am

Hi Ladies,

I bought a Singer Ultralock 14U64A, at a lawn sale this morning, It does have Operator's guide with it, and 4 spools of navy blue thread, 3 spools of purple thread, 1 spool of Scarlet, and 3 spools of dark wine, thread is made by beachwood ltd. It looks like it has been used in a while, I'm not sure of how to use it either, and I pd. $5.00 for the whole thing.

any opinions, advice, suggestions are welcome,

judymo :mrgreen:
judymo

Re: singer Ultralock 14U64A

New postby plrlegal on Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:10 pm

Judy for $5.00 for the machine and thread and with the manual, the most you can do is break the darn thing if you sit down and learn to use it if you don't already have one. I had a Singer 5 thread serger that I wore the tension disks out in making costumes for our church on and it was a pretty darn good serger and lasted quite a while considering how many miles and hours I put on it. So, like I said if you don't already have a serger, the most you can do is break it if you sit down and learn to thread and use it.

Patsy
"Quilting Is My Therapy...I've Been Preshrunk"
plrlegal

New postby judymo on Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:44 am

Thank you Patsy, No I don't have one already, All ways thought I wanted one as I do alteration for other people.

judy :mrgreen:
judymo

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:19 am

What a steal! :o I should have spent more time at the yard sales this summer... If you're looking for a first project, I highly suggest something done with knits since sergers do so beautifully with them! I did a simple A-line skirt - something like this pattern would be nice and easy: Kwik Sew 2805. For fabrics I used Juliette double knit from Hancock (feels nice, but got a bit pilly with washing) and Ponte di Roma from Joann, which probably holds up a bit better. Kwik sew also has nice knit top patterns, so I've heard - I have a few of them, but I haven't taken the plunge to sew them up just yet!

Anyway, enjoy, and don't be afraid to play around. I'm still kind of afraid of rethreading my serger - but I've heard the best way to get over that is to just practice practice practice! Have fun!
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Alexalter on Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:20 pm

I have this machine and have to say that I Love it. :) I have put it through alot of sewing and really the only thing that I have issue with is the tension springs and the timing goes out once in a while. I would try just sewing some scrap fabric to see how it is sewing. If everything is good, I agree with Kaitlin, I would start with a skirt. If you have tension problems, let me know, I can give you the numbers that I use for my machine.
If the stitches just are not right, it may be worth taking it in for a cleaning and tune up. You paid a great price for all of it.
Tami
Alexalter

New postby judymo on Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:31 am

Thank you ladies,

as much as I have always wanted one now I have one and scared to death, to use it I look at the thread to thread it and wonder what I have gotten my self into.

since I don't have any projects going on right now I guess sitting down and learning to thread this machine is probably the thing to do.

again thank you for your encourgement and advice

judymo :mrgreen:
judymo

New postby Glennssister on Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:14 pm

Judy, I suggest threading each part of your serger with a different color so you can Identify which part of the stitch is which. ?make sense? Be sure you raise your presser foot before threading. On most of todays machines this opens the tension discs to receive the thread. I have two white sergers and the older one does not work this way but the newer one does. Be sure you have a pair of long tweezers to help thread the loopers with. You'd be surprised how much this helps. The trickiest part on my sergers is the sequence of threading Upper looper, lower looper, right needle, left needle. that is the sequence for mine and I think most of the older sergers. IMaybe this will help you get started. Serging can be a lot of fun and makes quich work of making T shirts and sweaters with sweater knit.
Belinda
Glennssister

New postby myothsec on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:27 am

Judy,
I also bought the same model at an auction for $90.00, (you got such a good deal). I never used a Serger before, but took it home, read the manual, threaded it correctly the first time and it worked like a charm. It is NOT hard to thread. After I knew is was working, I took it to a good repairman, had him clean, oil and set the tensions, and it's humming like a bee.
Dive in and try, I did, and I'm glad.
:D
myothsec

New postby sewhappyrtr on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:51 am

kaitlinnegan wrote:What a steal! :o I should have spent more time at the yard sales this summer...

Anyway, enjoy, and don't be afraid to play around. I'm still kind of afraid of rethreading my serger - but I've heard the best way to get over that is to just practice practice practice! Have fun!

Hey last I looked,, it is still summer ;) :D :D
Karen
Walt Disney World.. the place I always want to be at !!
sewhappyrtr

New postby kaitlinnegan on Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:56 am

True..but my post was 2 summers ago. ;) I am not going out of my way to hit up any garage sales this summer! I am pretty much set for sewing machines for the foreseeable future, and even have enough patterns and fabric to keep me busy for the next several months.. :o
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

Next

Return to Sergers/Overlockers