Serging curves?

Machine recommendations plus tips and techniques for using these special machines.

Serging curves?

New postby PaulineG on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:54 am

I seem to have a problem serging curves. The loops hang off the edge of the fabric. I've tried adjusting the lower looper tension and it helps a little bit but not a lot. Is there anything else I should be trying? The tension is fine for the same fabric on the straight.
Pauline
PaulineG

Re: Serging curves?

New postby DorothyL on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:05 am

My serging book says you have to stretch the fabric as straight as you can and with practice you will get it right. I'm still practicing myself.
DorothyL

New postby kaitlinnegan on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:39 am

Ugh. I never could get the curves just right. It seems to me that the cutting edge is too far from the needles (about 1") to be able to do a tight curve, and even a gradual curve takes a lot of dinking around. I would dearly love to be able to serge all my pattern pieces before I sew a garment, but I can't manage to get it to work just yet. At least I can serge the straight pieces..
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby Joni Lowe on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:13 am

What if you were to snip the curves like you do when applying a curved facing? Would this be a viable solution? :idea:
Joni Lowe

New postby DorothyL on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:42 am

Well, you'd be able to pull it straighter but I don't think I'd like those sniped places.
DorothyL

New postby craftedbybeth on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:12 pm

I've had a hard time with this too. My serging seems to fall off the edge of the fabric on inside curves no matter how straight I make the piece. I've tried all kinds of adjustments with no luck. Beth :brick:
craftedbybeth

New postby Judi on Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:52 am

When I'm serging curves, whether inside or outside curves, I have to really slow down. I use both hands to guide the fabric, one in front and one behind. Guide the fabric so it's straightest when the needles are actually going into the fabric. On an inside curve, I do 'straighten' the curve a bit, without stretching the fabric. You can clip just a bit there, not enough that it would be noticeable, but enough to let you sew a straighter line. Remember, that this is the same as you'd do on a regular seam when turning the seam, so you can press it flat.

it's trickier on the outside curves. If there is any extra fabric in the seam allowance, I trim it away before I stitch. Then it doesn't matter where that edge lies before it reaches the needles. I try to keep it straight at the needles, and just after that point.

The main thing is to go slowly though.
Judi

New postby toadusew on Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:50 am

I'm still trying to master this myself! However, lately, I've found that I've done a little better on the outside edges of facings.
toadusew

New postby DorothyL on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:40 am

I'm fine on outside curves like facings as long as I pay attention. But those inside curves are still a problem.
DorothyL

New postby bridesmom on Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:09 pm

I have trouble with curves too, but I figure as long as its on the inside and isn't showing, I can live with loopy threads.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Next

Return to Sergers/Overlockers