Classes

Machine recommendations plus tips and techniques for using these special machines.

Classes

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:25 pm

Last Friday, I bought myself a second serger to use for classes. It is the Babylock Lauren which is a very basic 2-3-4 thread serger. I find being active in the guild and teaching classes, I needed something that I could carry with me especially when making garments. It is light enough that I can lift it without too much trouble. I did buy a tote bag for it. It will be my class machine. The threading is different from my Ovation but that doesn't bother me. It threads very much like my old Pfaff did. With Babylock sergers on sale now, I found the price to be very reasonable. It's always fun to get a new machine.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: Classes

New postby sewingrandma on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:40 pm

Congrats on you new serger for class. I've done some research and the Lauren is the one I want to get when my current serger packs it in.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby MartySews2 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:23 am

I think that it is the one that Libby bought when hers died its natural death ... It threads much like my former Pfaff serger.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:52 pm

I love my Lauren. I did not need all the extras that other models have. I have a Janome with 70 some stitches, and a coverstitch by Janome for coverstitching so I like the fact that the lauren dies 2 3 4 thread stitches. I only use reular serging with 4 threads and the rolled hem with 3 threads. that is all I want a serger to do for me, That is what I learned more than 25 years ago when I bought my first one. That one has been reborn by my friend down the street. He is a retured repairman and fixed my old Companion 20-40 by Babylock. He has it working great. I was glad for he and his wife because they did not have one. I did not feel like paying the price to have it repaired for myself, but of course he only has time invested so it did both of us good. now both of us have good working sergers.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:57 pm

That's fabulous Libby!!! I got the Lauren because I wanted something basic for when I teach classes either thru the guild or at my church. It's light enough in weight that I can lift and carry it plus I have a good Tutto XL serger case for it. The only other machine that I would want is a 10 needle embroidery machine and that is if I decide to start a home-based embroidery business. Of course, I may not do that so it's not anywhere in my immediate future. I'm just enjoying all that I have now.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

Return to Sergers/Overlockers