Extra thread through the needle plate?

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Extra thread through the needle plate?

New postby Little Bear on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:26 pm

When I've finished sewing my piece and I've cut of the thread, there are what appears to be four thread ends coming from the needle plate rather than two. If I grab the middle thread it pulls out as one ~3" piece of thread leaving the bobbin and top thread behind. Does that make sense? It doesn't do it all the time but I just can't figure out what's going on!

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I can get a photo next time it happens if that helps at all.

Edit: I should mention I have threaded and rethreaded everything and the tension is correct :-)
Mrs B ~ a beautiful thing is never perfect
Little Bear

Re: Extra thread through the needle plate?

New postby pinecone on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Is the needle in the most "up" position, having completed picking up the bobbin thread?

piney
pinecone

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Does your machine cut the thread if you ask it to. If yes, then I think something must be wrong with that action. If the answer is no, then I cannot think why that would happen unless the thread is hanging up on something in the mechanism and looping while you are stitching.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Little Bear on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:38 pm

Libby, no it doesn't. It's just a basic mechanical Brother.

Piney, no I tend to just pull the fabric out when I've reached the end as long as the needle isn't still in the fabric? I'm assuming this is wrong then?
Little Bear

New postby pinecone on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:57 pm

Little Bear wrote:Piney, no I tend to just pull the fabric out when I've reached the end as long as the needle isn't still in the fabric? I'm assuming this is wrong then?

You need to allow the needle to complete the stitch. Take the fabric out when it is as high as it will go. Just try it out with a scrap or two. Stop with the needle as usual (just out of the fabric) and gently remove the fabric. What does it look like? Now lower the presser foot and take a few stitches and with the needle up high (you might need to adjust/turn the wheel by hand) gently remove the fabric. Any difference?

piney
yes, I sometimes forget to lower the foot. :oops: It makes wonderful nests then. :silence:
pinecone

New postby Little Bear on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:43 am

Piney, that's amazing!

Stop with the needle as usual (just out of the fabric) and gently remove the fabric. What does it look like? Now lower the presser foot and take a few stitches and with the needle up high (you might need to adjust/turn the wheel by hand) gently remove the fabric. Any difference?

If I pulled the fabric out with the needle lowered I ended up with the extra thread but if I raised it up it didn't happen.

Such a simple thing! I guess that's the problem with self taught.

Thank-you so much for your help!

Mrs B
Little Bear

New postby pinecone on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Glad it was a simple fix. :dance: Sometimes we just get caught up on racing through our projects and what we really need is to slow down a bit. Have fun.

piney
pinecone

New postby Little Bear on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 am

pinecone wrote:what we really need is to slow down a bit

It's really funny that you say that Piney, when I first started sewing I found myself wishing the foot pedal had a 5 second lockout so that I'd remember to check my settings before I started chewing through the fabric! It is definitely sage advice!
Little Bear

Return to Sewing Machines