Singer 9117 Sewing Machine

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Re: Singer 9117 Sewing Machine

New postby dcagliero on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:40 am

It worked Gina!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!! Geeezzz at the rate I'm going I'm going to learn all the ends and outs of my machine before I even start my first project LOL :D You all are SO educated on these machines I LOVE IT! I can't wait to catch up with you all!
Blessings,
Dee
dcagliero

New postby dcagliero on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:42 am

HUGS TO YA ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Blessings,
Dee
dcagliero

New postby dcagliero on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:05 pm

Hi Dorothy :)
I'm married to an Italian so we love our wine :) I was telling the gal's that I don't even dare drink water at the table I'm sewing at hehehehe, I'm a total klutz and eventually would end up all over me LOL. But a half glass before the project priceless ;)
Blessings,
Dee
dcagliero

New postby dcagliero on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:07 pm

Marty, I was real close to calling you :) But many thanks to you ALL , Gina's suggestion worked it out. I'm so thankful to this group of gals!!!!!
Blessings,
Dee
dcagliero

New postby Pudge99 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:17 pm

I am so glad it was something easy that we could help you fix. Learning the ins and outs of a new machine can be frustrating even for an experienced seamstress.
Gina
Pfaff 2040
Janome Mylock 134D
Singer Futura CE-100 w/ Autopunch
Husqvarna Viking 3D Sketch
Pudge99

New postby dcagliero on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:21 pm

Well I'm about ready to toss the machine through the window. After the dog feet task - the machine is now having bobbin issues. The case that the bobbin fits in keeps coming out of it's holding tray. And when I go in and align it back and all is good and the thread is going again on the material, the thread all of a sudden locks up and jams in the bobbin case. I guess you can expect these kinds of issue when you get a sewing machine in a barter from someone you don't really know. I think right this moment my husband is looking at NEW machines. :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:
Blessings,
Dee
dcagliero

New postby bridesmom on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:22 pm

That's probably an easy fix too. If it's a drop in bobbin, meaning you drop the bobbin into the bed of the machine, the thread needs to go counterclockwise. If there is a bobbin case that you put the bobbin into and then put it back into the machine, the thread needs to go clockwise when you hold the bobbin case with the bobbin facing you.

Make sure the thread is in the little tension hook too that is either on the bed of the machine (for the drop in) or on the bobbin case.

Also Dee, try going up to the SWN Archive in the top right hand corner on this page) and search for 9117. There is some info a few years back that was given on one of those machines. It may help too.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby MartySews2 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Dee, do you have a manual for your machine? If not, you can get a free download on the singerco.com website or you can purchase one from them for $15. It will explain all about the bobbin, the threading, the feed dogs, stitch regulator, etc. You really need a manual next to you when you're first learning to use a machine. If you get the free download, print it out & put it in a binder so you can make notes & place samples of your stitches with the setting you used. This is crucial in learning to sew.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby dcagliero on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:57 am

Marty & Laura,
I do have the manual. I've been keeping it right next to me for reference. The bobbin is turning clockwise and the thread from the bobbin has been put through slot #1 & #2 as per the manual so I'm not sure what's going wrong. It works for a short while then the thread from the bobbin area jams up. I will definitely check out the SWN Archive to see if I can find anything that might help me. The manual has helped me greatly so right now I'm at a loss. When I adjusted the Stitch Length as per Gina I thought all was good. I will keep on keeping on ;) I'm going to get sewing if it's the last thing I do! ;) I have house stuff to do today but will tinker with it again tomorrow. But if you all hear a LOUD breaking of plastic 2morrow don't hold it against me LOL :lol: JK
Blessings,
Dee
dcagliero

New postby lendube on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:08 am

Just don't throw the machine too far in a southernly direction!!! Or at least let me know when to duck!! :o

Have you rethreaded since having this problem? I get horrible bobbin nests the second my thread jumps the take up lever. Mine's got a slot and I so wish it had a hole instead. Major design defect IMO.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

PreviousNext

Return to Sewing Machines