Singer 9117 Sewing Machine

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Re: Singer 9117 Sewing Machine

New postby dcagliero on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:32 pm

Yup, I've re-threaded and re-threaded and re-threaded and still no go :brick:
Blessings,
Dee
dcagliero

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Try flipping the bobbin over & then put it in the machine. See if that helps. Sometimes, I've been known to put a bobbin in backwards.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby dcagliero on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:59 pm

Thank you Marty :) But these bobbins are kinda weird with this machine they can only go in one way. With the middle metal part on top. I attached a picture of the bobbin.
Attachments
312956bobbin.jpg
312956bobbin.jpg (15.19 KB) Viewed 3962 times
Blessings,
Dee
dcagliero

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:05 pm

1. Raise the presser foot.
2. Turn the handwheel toward you until the needle is in the highest position.
3. Remove the bobbin slide.
4. Insert the filled bobbin with the 2 black rings on top into the bobbin case. Be sure the bobbin winder has been disengaged.
5. Holding the bobbin in place, guide your thread into notch #1.
6. Bring thread around and past point #2.
7. Leaving the bobbin slide fully open, holding the needle thread in your left hand, use your right hand to slowly turn the handwheel toward you until the needle goes into the hole in the plate.
8. Continue to do this until the needle rises above the needle plate.
9. Pull gently on the needle thread until the bobbin thread comes up into a loop.
10. Open the loop until you find the end of the bobbin thread.
11. Pull the threads thru the left side opening of the presser foot.
12. Pull the threads to the back of the presser foot & slide the bobbin slide cover closed.
These instructions with photos are on pages 16 & 17 of your manual with photos. Hope this helps.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby dcagliero on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

I did that to the T. I went over my manual instructions till I wanted to pull my hair out. The instructions I found real easy. Something is wrong with the mechanics of the machine. My husband and I tested the machine over and over trying to diagnose. I think this is why those people wanted to get rid of it so easily and fast.
Blessings,
Dee
dcagliero

New postby dcagliero on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:23 pm

So as opposed to sinking any money into what may be the money pit my husband decided to actually purchase a new machine for me :) It's a Singer 7256 off of Amazon.com We went over the 9117 with a fine tooth comb and my husband is pretty gifted when it comes to fixing just about anything. He was gonna go thru the machine and replace the belt, gears etc but decided it would just be as economical to buy new one under warranty.

So ladies thank you again so much for all your help. When I get this new machine I will let ya know. But don't go far because I'm sure I'll be needing help ;) :D
Blessings,
Dee
dcagliero

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:55 pm

My problem always was that I would forget to disengage the bobbin winder. Now, with my new machine, I don't have to worry about that anymore. Good luck on your new machine. On your 9117, the timing might be off which a repair shop should be able to fix. There's a great book called "Sewing Machine Repair for the Home Sewer" by Reuben O'Doyle. I use it when I fix up older machines to donate to those who cannot buy one.
Marty ;)
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:29 pm

You know it's always nice to have a backup machine. So once you get the new one, and if you have some extra $$ take it in and see if it can be fixed for a reasonable price. I have 4 'sewing' machines. One I quilt with, one is my sewing/embroidery bigboy, my MIL has my old Pfaff which I will keep until the computer board goes, and I have an old mechanical metal Pfaff that will sew through anything you give it. If I have to send one machine in for service, I still have one or more at home I can sew on. You see, once you get addicted to sewing, you really will have a hard time sending your only machine off for service for a week or two. Think - major withdrawal! You will wander through your sewing room, aimlessly, petting your fabric, sorting your threads by color, buy fabric on line, and patterns, and thread, and anything else you think may come in handy, waiting, waiting, w a i t i n g for your little pet to come home where it belongs. And when it does, you will disappear for days on end, secretly sneaking out of bed in the middle of the night to sew, while your husband sleeps, none the wiser. LOL
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:24 pm

It just occurred to me that with all this talk, we have not mentioned the bobbin tension adjustment.. Maybe that could be the problem. I had it one time years ago on my F-221. One of my boys had grabbed the bobbin case to play with and messed it up somehow. It kept breaking the thread because the tension screw was way too tight..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby bridesmom on Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:59 pm

oh, good thinking Libby!
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom