A new machine for me?

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Re: A new machine for me?

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:18 pm

The Kenmore machines over the past 10-15 years have been made by Janome. That's why the feet are interchangeable. The new Pfaff, Viking, & Singer machines are all made by the VSM corp so they are similar in features. Whether their presser feet are interchangeable, I don't really know. We don't have a Viking dealer in Memphis anymore. Lennie, if you're very happy with your dealer, then check what he/she has to offer for machines. There are always big sales around the holidays. I have found that I get a good deal when sales are in a slump. Know your budget before you begin to shop. There's a lot of info online that you can check out different brands & what they have to offer. I, personally, am very happy with my 3 Babylock machines but I also own 2 Pfaff machines that I would not part with & a White that is my daughter's plus a Singer machine. The Singer machine is very old & needs some work before it can be used. When I get it working, it's going to a church member who doesn't have the funds to buy a machine. I always recommend shopping the dealer first as that is where you will get lessons & service & the warranty. Many dealers won't service a machine bought elsewhere. Good luck on your search.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:16 pm

My Kenmore was verified as a Janome product by the co. a long time ago.. I did that before I ever used the first bobbin on my j. after I bought it. I had so many bobbins, I wanted to be able to use them, but I would not try on a new machine before I verified my suspicions.. That brings up something I had not thought of lately. The Kenmore had 5 different zigzag stitches and also 5 different stretch stitches for knits. I don't see that marked on any sewing machine these days.. Wonder why ?? Is it because the sergers took away the need??
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby DorothyL on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:56 am

Libby on both of my machines you vary the zig zag length and width individually giving you many more than five options.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Dorothy, That machine was purchased in early 70's.. I think it was the furst one made for Kenmore that was not operated with cams. I cannot remember if I could regulate all the stitches or not. Some of them I could, I know.. Its still in working order, but it lives at DS house as a lamp table in a kid's bedroom. Nobody uses it to sew with.. When I go there to sew I take "Old Faithful" with me. I know it better and it loves me too. (Singer 221) 54 years in my posession, and I bought it used from Singer's rental dept..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby Mule on Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:26 pm

The Kenmore machines were/are definitely made by Janome. The Janome Memory Craft 5200 looks exactly like my Kenmore Elite. I really love my Kenmore Elite -- it does everything much more expensive machines do. It has approximately 400 stitches built-in, plus functions. Never gives me any problems, and -- the feet are so cheap! I have just about every foot possible for my machine -- about 25 feet in all. Except for the ruffler and the walking foot, most of the feet cost between $5 - $7 each. So much cheaper than feet for my Viking.

My machine isn't made any longer, although I'm sure there are used ones available. I think Kenmore currently only offers some basic machines --- not sure why. Possibly people buying a higher end machine prefer to purchase from a dealer where they can get help, service, classes, etc. That's the one thing that's never been available for Kenmore machines.

However, based on the performance of my Kenmore, if I had to buy a new machine today, I'd start looking at the Janome machines.
Beth
Mule

New postby keljo60 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:03 am

I have a Viking Sapphire 830 and the feet are interchangeable with other machines as long as they fit the ankle. You don't have to change the ankle on it to change the foot. I have some feet from my Janome basic machine and some from an old Riccar machine and some from a friend's Kenmore, they all fit. There are specialty feet available if you can't find a generic for what you want. Sapphire's have a learning curve and take a lot of patience to master, but I love my machine. Her name is Daisy!
Kelly
keljo60

New postby sewingrandma on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:15 am

Viking had a line of Daisy machines.
I have 2 Vikings and would you believe the feet are not interchangable? The feed dogs are much further apart on my newer one, rats.
Brockie
sewingrandma

New postby bridesmom on Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:29 pm

Same thing with my Brothers, one's a high shank, the other a low shank. I would love an open toe quilt foot for the high shank but I can't get one for this machine. I do have an adaptor that I can use for the regular feet, just not the quilting/darning foot.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Previous

Return to Sewing Machines