Snagged another machine today

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Snagged another machine today

New postby kjh9835 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:07 pm

I stopped by a consignment store to look at a chest of drawers but it was too much money for the condition. There were baby/kids clothes in the window so I went in to see if they had anything good so I could let family know.

Almost did not look in room with furniture/junk but had time to kill. Way back in the corner behind two bookcases, two swivel barstools, coffee and end table sets, lamp and you name it, was a sewing machine in cabinet covered in dust. It had been there a long time because everything else was cram packed in front of and around it.

I asked if it worked, she said she didn't know and when I asked how much, she said $60 but she had another one in the back office. She went and got it but it was a newer Singer and mostly plastic. I hmm'd a bit and said I would dig it out if she'd take $40 even if it didn't work because I *thought* my husband might be able to fix it and I'd rather have a tan metal machine that looked similiar to what mom had than a plastic one. I knew full well what it was and that Joe could fix it if it didn't work and mom never even had a sewing machine while I was growning up but hey, it saved me $20!

Singer 401-A with a few fashion disks, buttonhole attachment, all the feet, a ruffler, toolkit and several bobbins. I spent half an hour digging it out and trying to fit it in my car. Finally got it in the trunk and drove treally slow to Autozone where I bought a cheap screwdriver to take machine out of the cabinet to put in my backseat and bungee cords to tie trunk lid down. I didn't really care about the cabinet as it was not in very good condition but I didn't want it to fall out and cause a wreck and I sure didn't want to smash the machine.

Now this is the same machine that I sew with every time I do any sewing. If for any reason I need a heavier duty machine, I use the 301 mom gave me (also in cabinet, my serger sits on top).

It needs a good cleaning and oiling but Joe hooked it up when he got home and it actually sews better than the one I use (which by now also needs a good cleaning and oiling).

No, we do not need yet another machine, I think I have 12 now but can't remember what all is in the attic other than they are collectible and Joe won't let them go so I just keep my mouth shut because they aren't hurting anything up there. Needless to say he is happy I found this one today and bought it even if is just going to be stored until the kids move out and want their own.

Kathy (who shopped all day, went to a memorial for a coworkers spouse and did not get ANY sewing done)
kjh9835

Re: Snagged another machine today

New postby sewingmom on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:09 pm

:) I love this story. It so sounds like me except my DH couldn't fix it. I find it hard to pass up a good used machine. I just had an old New Home serviced and am having the cabinet refinished by a friend as a gift for DGD. I paid $100 for it (to much but the friend who owned needed the money) Cost me another $118 to have it serviced and buy a foot pedal for. The man that serviced it looked at it like he saw an old friend, Said he had sold hundreds of them twenty years ago.
Last edited by sewingmom on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sewingmom

New postby MartySews2 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Kathy, that's wonderful. I love old vintage machines. I try to fix them up as best as I can & give them to those who cannot afford to purchase a sewing machine. I like doing that as much as I enjoy my sewing, embroidery, needlework & photography. I don't have room to keep anymore machines. Three live under the dining table, 2 are in travel cases, & 2 are on my sewing cabinet. Wish that I had space for more.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby bridesmom on Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:51 pm

Bonus for you Kelly!!!! What a great find! DH would freak if I came home with any more machines, he's bad enough with the fabric, so I stay away, though I am quietly searching for one for DGD. What he doesn't know won't hurt, right??
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby lendube on Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:16 pm

kjh9835 wrote: and said I would dig it out if she'd take $40 even if it didn't work because I *thought* my husband might be able to fix it and I'd rather have a tan metal machine that looked similiar to what mom had than a plastic one. I knew full well what it was and that Joe could fix it if it didn't work and mom never even had a sewing machine while I was growning up but hey, it saved me $20!

That's the part I liked. :D Wow, what a shopper and bargainer. Good going, Kathy. I love my 401A. I paid about $225.00 for mine a couple of years back and it doesn't have any of those fun extras, just a dual feed foot and a zipper foot. It was in great shape though.

Have fun with your bargain.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby kjh9835 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:33 pm

I have an aunt (mom's sister) who bought a mobile home in FL right next to my mom and is moving South as soon as she gets her house cleaned out (meaning a few years probably...lol) but I am going "shopping" there the end of the month when I go to see dd18 who has left for college back in our hometown where my aunt lives.

She had one sewing room with machines and misc. supplies and another just for fabric. She is also an avid collector of antiques and I want more vintage kitchen stuff. Joe is putting more shelves around the top of my kitchen and I don't have enough gadgets yet. I did get more aprons and am going to hang them around too.

I don't know how many machines she has or may be taking with her but I'll be looking/asking. I plan to take the truck just in case only Joe doesn't know that yet. I am more interested in the fabrics and notions because my supply is dwindling and she has a little bit of everything and will shoot me a "one price for all deal" just to be rid of it as the house is going to her dtr and grandson who also live with her.

Kathy
kjh9835

Return to Sewing Machines