New Singer Featherweight?

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

New Singer Featherweight?

New postby optimo1818 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:28 pm

I'm new to sewing, and don't have a lot of experience although I have used a machine a few times before. Anyways my grandmother gave me her mother's featherweight singer sewing machine. I can thread easily but every time I spin the wheel forwards to pick up the bobbin thread the machine gets stuck because the thread gets tangled and knotted once it picks up the bobbin thread. Since I'm new to sewing I'm not sure what the problem is, and I can't look it up because the instruction packet is all molded. I think I'm threading the bobbin wrong, but I really don't know. I've heard that these are really great machines, and I can't wait to use it, but I'm kinda stuck. Does anyone know where you can find a downloadable instruction booklet online or something similar? If it helps at all my machine is black with gold decorations on it... not sure the model number yet. Thanks SEW much! Lol that was really cheesy.
~Moriah~
optimo1818

Re: New Singer Featherweight?

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Moriah, I answered you on the other thread under Beginning Sewing.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby Sancin on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:10 am

I think that you have not put the bobbin in correctly or threaded the machine correctly. 'Nests' are usually caused by bobbins in most machine. The other thing it to hold both threads behind the foot when you start to sew. You can download an instruction booklet for the Featherweight
http://www.singer-featherweight.com/sit ... ingfea.pdf. You have a wonderful machine to sew with and little can go wrong with it.

Welcome. You will find lots of help here. Good luck with your sewing adventures. I sewed on a Featherweight for many years (it was my grandmothers - I am 70 yrs old myself) and it went with me all through my university days and for many years after. I traded it in to get a machine that will zigzaz when I started to sew stetch and knit fabrics for my first baby. Several years ago I purchased another FW as I missed my original so much. I have taken it with me when I travel to see my grandchildren and sew for them where they live.

I recall one web site you can check out - http://www.featherweightfanatics.com/ - this site can also tell you how tell you when your FW was made. Have fun and come back and tell us how you make out.
*~*~*~* Nancy*~*~*~*

God put me on this earth to sew and finish a certain number of things. I am so far behind now.....I will never die!.......If I stitch fast enough does it count as an aerobic exercise?
Sancin

New postby temom on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:10 am

I think it is your bobbin also. When it is in the case, The thread should come up from the back off the bobbin to feed up through the bobbin hole or whatever you call it where it interacts with the top thread. Does that make sense?
A featherweight is a dream machine. Don't let anyone talk you into getting rid of it.
Theresa
temom

New postby keljo60 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:42 am

Moriah, I also answered you on your other post under Beginning Sewing. I attached a link you might find very useful.

Good luck with your "new" baby! I love mine!
Kelly
keljo60

Return to Sewing Machines