Singer Featherweight

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Re: Singer Featherweight

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:31 am

I believe in learning as you go but got caught by the quilt police once. It was painful but I think this is a great idea, Kelly. Explain the cutting mat, rotary cutter, & how to take accurate measurements. Let them practice that first. I wish I had a class on that before I taught my quilting program & was burned at the stake by the quilt police. I will finish my quilt block but may never quilt. I just want to learn the technique.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby DorothyL on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:20 am

A couple of the women want to jump right in! None of them have done any piecing. What do you all think?

I'm not sure how else you would do it.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby lendube on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:20 am

Kelly, how about making up a separate post in the Quilting Forum. You'll get lots of ideas from our wonderful quilting people. They've helped me on several occasions. You can also google "teaching beginning quilting" for tons of ideas. Good luck. Sounds like fun. And even if you think you're in over your head to try and teach know that you know a whole lot more than they do even if you don't think you know all that much!

Have fun!
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:33 am

I would start with a simple ninepatch.. That is what 2 classes I took started with.. It takes some people a while to get that right.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby keljo60 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:31 am

Marty, that is a good idea. I don't really want to jump into something without some kind of foundation for them. I will probably bring in some fabric, rulers, rotary cutters/mats and a machine for the first meeting so the ones who have never used them will get a chance. I don't want to slow down the ones who have some experience, but I don't want to confuse & confound the ones who don't.

Lennie, I like that idea about posting to the forum, I should get plenty of assist there.

Libbie, great minds think alike! I was planning to start with the nine patch because it is one of the easiest.
Kelly
keljo60

Previous

Return to Sewing Machines