Singer Featherweight

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Singer Featherweight

New postby keljo60 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:38 am

OK, so, how many out there have had the absolute pleasure of piecing a quilt top on a Singer Featherweight? I had heard so many good things about them, and being a person who really loves gadgets and oddities, I just had to have one! So I bided my time until I had the money and bought one on eBay for about $300 (including shipping). I took it as soon as I got it and had it serviced and tuned up just to make sure everything was right, she replaced the plug but that was the only issue. It's got to be the best machine for piecing ever!!! The stitch is absolutely beautiful, so even and pretty! It doesn't have a back stitch, which I found odd, but usually that isn't need for piecing.

I did an Attic Windows top first, but had to change to my Husqvarna Sapphire 830 when I messed something up and kept getting large loops on the underside. I wanted to finish the top and had to research to find out what I did. I found out that when I removed the throat plate to clean out lint, I didn't line up the bobbin case correctly when replacing it. Fixed that and started a Braided Chevron (or herringbone) from a Moda jelly roll I've had for years. It's amazing how easy it is to sew with! I love it and recommend one to anyone who wants a good piecing machine!

Funny thing is when I got it and took it to the shop my younger dd couldn't understand why I spent "so much money" on it only to take it to the shop. "It should be perfect when you get it!" I explained it was just a precaution and it was "so much money" because it is such a good machine and worth every penny! Kids!!
Kelly
keljo60

Re: Singer Featherweight

New postby MartySews2 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:45 am

Oh, it's one of my "dream to own" machines. I saw a White clone in my dealer's shop & lusted after it yesterday. Oh, if only I had the money, to purchase the things that I want. LOL!!! I'm so happy for you, Kelly. I know that you will have so much fun with your new baby. Those machines were made to last generations. It's too bad that things are not made that way in today's world.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:18 pm

Kelly, Do you have the Manual for your featherweight. Mine does backstitch.. I have owned mine since 1957 since I bought it as a used rental from Singer. Best machine ever made in this world. It still makes prettier buttonholes than any I have ever seen any machine make. It is an attachment of course.
Anyway , back to the subject. The little lever up under the bobbin winder-- Where you put the lever up or down according to the stitch length you want, If you flip that all the way to the top as you are sewing, it backstitches.. Then just flip it back down to its original setting and it sews forward again.. Hope this explanation is not too confusing..And yes, even this non quilter has pieced blocks on this machine my 2 DS call "Old Faithful"..I would not take $1000.00 for mine unless my family was starving..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby temom on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:35 pm

My dd has one. It is currently in the case as it has an issue. Hubby has promised to look at it, so maybe with a reminder he will get it done.
Theresa
temom

New postby lendube on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:19 pm

Kelly, that's wonderful! I'm so happy for you. They are a sweet little machine with an excellent reputation, that's for sure. Lucky you. My 1958 Singer 401A works the same way that Libby described. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Strange that it wouldn't have reverse.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby keljo60 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:21 pm

Libby ... it worked! Awesome! Maybe if I had read thru the book that I downloaded, I may have found the bobbin/throatplate and the backstitch issues myself!!! Good thing I have so many good cyber friends! That will save me a lot of hassles! I'm used to the new fangled machines that have backstitch buttons/switches on them. Now I love "Daisy" even more! I named her after my maternal grandmother because she was fantastic too.
Kelly
keljo60

New postby temom on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:10 pm

Kelly, thanks for inspiring me to pull out dd''s featherweight. We were able to fix the problem, and oil it. We found 5 or 6 pins inside it. The motor still needs to be lubricated, as we didn't have the right stuff for that.

Something the sewing repair guy said about featherweights: Always turn the fly wheel towards you, never away.
Theresa
temom

New postby keljo60 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:44 pm

Theresa, I've heard that's what you should do with any machine. I'm not positive why but I think it was something about how the motor is supposed to go. Does anyone out there know for sure?

I'm really glad you got out DD's machine. :applause:

The only problem I can see is that I will have so much enjoyment using Daisy that I will make bunches of quilt tops, but not finish them! I hope not! :anxious:
Kelly
keljo60

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Back in the old days, *before electronics) you were supposed to turn the wheel as you started to sew. This ensured no thread nests etc.... The only machine maker that said turn wheel away was The White Sewing Machine. All the rest told you to turn the wheel toward you, always or risk damaging the machine. I remember my Grandmother always turned her wheel when she started sewing. And she had a New Home Treadle Machine all her life. She passed away in 1947..
Kelly, I'm glad you found out you could reverse. I always read the manual.. My Dad would not help me if I had not read all instructions and (or) manuals first.
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby keljo60 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:11 am

Libby, I'm very glad I learned this too. I looked through the manual but didn't read it through. I've been using it everyday this week making my lap quilt.

Well, I hope I didn't jump in with both feet on my next adventure! I offered to lead a beginning quilting group at work! We will meet on Tuesdays after work in the conference room. It will have to be a staff only group because of security reasons. Now I have to make up some kind of outline of what we're gonna do and what we'll need. I'd like to explain equipment and preparation before we actually do any sewing. A couple of the women want to jump right in! None of them have done any piecing. What do you all think?
Kelly
keljo60

Next

Return to Sewing Machines