Presser Foot Pressure

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Presser Foot Pressure

New postby temom on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:18 pm

OK, I'm confused. No matter what I tell my sewing advisor, it gives me the same settings. But my machine is not doing so hot with this.
The thicker your fabric, does your pressure foot pressure increase or decrease?

I have a base layer of fabric, fusible fleece (about 1/8 inch thick), and then I'm seaming 2 more fabrics on top of that. The thicker your fabric, does your pressure foot pressure increase or decrease? I'm trying to make a bag from a magazine Judy sent me a while back. It has been on my to do list for so long, it isn't funny.

I also have a much greater appreciation for you quilters and your precise 1/4 inch seams! I can't seem to get them even, although I'm using a 1/4 inch foot.
Grrrrrrr...
Theresa
temom

Re: Presser Foot Pressure

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:49 pm

I would think that it would decrease the pressure to allow for the extra layers of fabric. I don't have to adjust mine so I never think about it.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby lendube on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:41 pm

I agree with Marty but if you have an even-feed (differential) foot absolutely use it!
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby temom on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:54 pm

I will give it a try. Thanks!
Theresa
temom

New postby bridesmom on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:58 pm

My machine has a setting for foot pressure, but I keep forgetting what I'm supposed to do when, so I don't change it. I could read in the manual, but then I'd forget that too. The 1/4" seams, well, I learned a little trick. Find out the distance between the edge of your 1/4" foot and where the needle goes into the fabric. You may need to adjust the needle slightly, or where the fabric is under the foot. But when you find the right measurement, take a piece of painters tape or masking tape, (or like me, I just drew a line with permanent marker) and draw a line down your machine bed at exactly 1/4". Then when you sew your 14" seam DON'T WATCH THE NEEDLE. You watch where the fabric meets the line. If you are watching where the needle is going up and down, you are too late to make corrections to the 1/4". I've also learned that too for my free motion quilting, I am not watching the needle as much as about an inch ahead of where I am going. It's made a ton of difference. But then when I go back to garment sewing I need to watch the needle again. If I remember to look up foot pressure, I'll let you know.
It makes sense to decrease the foot pressure with a heavier fabric and increase with a lighter fabric, cause on the lighter fabric the extra pressure would keep the fabric in place better.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Return to Sewing Machines