Another Machine

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Another Machine

New postby MartySews2 on Sat May 07, 2011 9:06 pm

Sewing machines like to follow me home. I clean them up, oil & get manuals for them & then pass them along to others in need of a machine. This week it was a Singer Stylist 834 that came home with me. I've ordered a manual for it & will clean & oil it when the manual comes to be sure it is in good working order. I have to find a power cord & foot pedal but the lady that gave it to me said that she might be able to find it. If not, I can get one for about $40 so it's not a biggie expense. I'm thinking about keeping this one as I really like it. Don't really need another sewing machine but it is nice. Do sewing machines follow anyone else home? If so, what do you do with them?
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Re: Another Machine

New postby bridesmom on Sat May 07, 2011 11:09 pm

I have had a few show up in my car from garage sales and auctions. They have been cleaned up and given away. One I have kept, as I may use it for DGD to start off on, but it also needs a bottom case as it was from a school and was a drop in. It's over 25 years old so finding a base may be a problem. I don't want a table top cabinet for it which I can find, but have no room for anther one of those.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Re: Another Machine

New postby MartySews2 on Sun May 08, 2011 8:41 am

Laura, you may want to use a rubberized shelf liner & set the machine on that for your DGD to sew. It will protect your furniture finish & provide a cushion against vibration. I have done that before. The machines that follow me home are given to me, not purchased. I purchase the necessary items & fix them up. I have only purchased 2 vintage machines - a Singer Daisy which I resold for the same amount that I paid for it & a vintage Kenmore in which I put $60 into & used for a while. Then I donated that machine along with another to the United Methodist Neighborhood Center for their Refugee Assistance program. They teach refugees how to sew clothing for their families. The other machines that have followed me home, I have cleaned, oiled & made sure that they were working & gave them to people in need. I wish that I had a sewing studio/workshop so I could do more of that. So much that I want to do but have so little energy for any of it. Right now, my focus is on clothing alterations, teaching sewing classes, sewing for me & some community service projects. It keeps me busy.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

Return to Sewing Machines