My machine may be terminal.

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

My machine may be terminal.

New postby lendube on Fri May 06, 2011 11:26 am

My main sewing/embroidery machine may be dying or dead. I took it in Monday and now it's the waiting game. I'd noticed for the past week or so that each time I started it it would go v e r y, v e r y, s l o w l y and then pick up to normal speed. The hand wheel was very hard to turn too. I dug out some thread from the take up lever which brought the hand wheel back to normal and things seemed better. I had some sweatshirts to emb. so I did a test emb. first and all was fine. I got the first shirt done w/out problem and then about 50 stitches into the second the machine just stopped. Just like that. I've learned not to tempt fate so I removed the shirt right then and took the machine in the next day.

It's a 16 y/o machine that wasn't used but a handful of times till I got it in 2004. Since then however, I'd say I've used it an average of 4-5 days per week and I've done hundreds of embroideries. Lots of times I've done 20 or more shirts at a time for the fire dept., etc. In other words, the machine has worked very, very hard for the last 7 years.

I wouldn't mind an upgrade but this Viking #1+ has such a fabulous reputation as a workhorse that the following models just don't have. I guess the biggest concern is the very expensive embroidery software I've got for it. I don't want to have to give that up after all the time I've put into learning it. The machine was originally about $5,000.00. I got it from an acquaintance for $500.00 because she got it for free and didn't want it. I can get a whole $400.00 or so for it (in working order) now. Doesn't that just absolutely stink?! The motherboard is only going to last so long as well.

So, we'll see what's up hopefully soon. In the meantime there's a Sewing Expo next week on the 12th-14th that I'll be going to. Maybe I can gather some knowledge about options. I'm using my 401A (1958) Singer now and it's running smooth as silk.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: My machine may be terminal.

New postby carman on Fri May 06, 2011 11:51 am

one has to think of our embroidery machines as cars, as soon as you take them out of the store they loose their value :cry: sucks doesn't it. my machine was valued at 8 plus thousand dollars a couple years back, not including all the hoops and software, :o but i LOVE my machine and wouldn't trade it, yet, lol

carman
carman

New postby MartySews2 on Fri May 06, 2011 1:21 pm

In 2002, I got my Pfaff 7570 which was my dream machine & it worked beautifully for sewing & so/so for embroidery. I didn't do a lot of machine embroidery as it was a hassle to change from sewing mode to embroidery mode. I had invested $100's of dollars into presser feet, embroidery cards, etc for the machine & I really liked it so it was a tough call to let it go. In the meantime, I was thinking of getting an embroidery only machine that did the large designs. Last fall, Babylock had a special on their Ellisimo in which they offered a serger with the purchase. I talked to my dealer about trading in my Pfaff for the Ellisimo & he made a great offer for the machine, software, cable, cards & all of my presser feet. So, I traded my Pfaff & am so happy with my Ellisimo& my new Babylock Eclipse serger. To switch from sewing to embroidery is just a matter of changing the presser foot. I use Embird software as it is not machine specific. I don't regret my decision at all. Good luck on your machine search, Lennie.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby temom on Fri May 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Gosh Lennie, that really stinks. I've noticed that my Viking, which is now 5 years old and out of warranty, just doesn't seem the same. I think when it goes, I'll switch over to a Brother. I have a Brother serger and a stand alone Brother embroidery machine. I haven't had a bit of trouble with either of them.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Theresa
temom

New postby carman on Fri May 06, 2011 3:10 pm

i almost got the 7570 a few years back as well but the then TOL 2170? came out as i was humming and hawing and bought that one and was soooooooooooo glad i did, the embroidery change over was seamless and real easy, i didn't have it too long when the CV came out and traded the 2170 for it :D and LOVE my CV (creative vision) for its embroidery ease and the huge designs i can do with 2 hoopings and tiny ones too. i have a little Kenmore Elite that i sew on when my machine is embroidering beside me, as i like to sew while it is doing its thing.

carman
carman

New postby lendube on Fri May 06, 2011 3:11 pm

This whole discussion might be premature so we'll wait. I wouldn't mind going with another brand but once they've got you it's hard to change over....and they know it!! :roll: I never would even have gotten an embroidery machine for myself. I'm just not that into it personally but I do make money with it and enjoy it. Viking doesn't make a stand-alone emb. machine however. I was thinking that would be a good option. I'd also hate to waste all of the knowledge I've gained about embroidery. It takes a long time to learn what I've learned, dang it!!

With my Mom so sick and close to the end there will be some inheritance money for us and I know she'd be happy to see some of it go to this hobby from which I get so much pleasure. It would be a nice tribute to her since she was such a needlework person herself. :)
Lennie

lendube

New postby bridesmom on Sat May 07, 2011 11:07 pm

Well, I hope your Viking is an easy fix for now. I had mine up and die on me, turned out it was a small piece of thread with fuzz on it that had caught in the feed dogs. really easy fix. I need to get mine cleaned too, but, I just haven't taken the time to take it in. Maybe tomorrow I'll take it apart and see how gucky it is inside first.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby lendube on Tue May 10, 2011 7:22 pm

Doing the happy dance! :dance: :dance: My machine is fine. I just got a call from the repair guy. Don't know if he's Italian but he sure sounded like it. "Your machine she's a fine and purring like new." He said she's in great shape. Apparently I commited a cardinal sin by putting some OIL :shock: :o in a couple of spots on the take-up lever and and I really gunked things up. He also found lots of pieces of thread up in there that I had missed. Whew!!! I'm NOT ready to be done with that machine. I love it. It was creating anxiety for me to think that it might be dead! :anxious: :lol:

But, in all seriousness, I AM SO INCREDIBLY READY TO GET RID OF MY SERGER!!!
Lennie

lendube

New postby MartySews2 on Tue May 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Lennie, I'm sorry that you haven't bonded well with your serger. What seems to be your problem with it?
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby lendube on Wed May 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Oh Marty, it's so many, many things. It won't sew over lumpy seams, it doesn't like fleece or stretchy material, it screws up the coverstitch every time. It's just a very, very picky machine. It could also just be a lemon. I can never do an entire project without something going wrong. If you're really interested, I know I've complained about it here many times. Just enter Viking S-21 in the search or look at my past postings in the sergers forum. It does a beautiful overlock stitch on cottons. Other than that, it's a piece of junk.
Lennie

lendube

Next

Return to Sewing Machines