Bobbins: Class 66 vs 15

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Bobbins: Class 66 vs 15

New postby lendube on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:43 pm

Please help. I got the sewing machines for the Toy Drive yesterday and I want to include some extra bobbins. It seems there's only one in the box. I bought some basic sewing supplies and among them 4 spools of thread. On the box it states that you need Class 15 bobbins. I have many Class 66 bobbins for two of my machines and they seem interchangable with the 15's except that the 15's are metal and the 66's are plastic.

Anyone know if I can just send the plastic ones along?
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

Re: Bobbins: Class 66 vs 15

New postby kaitlinnegan on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:58 pm

As far as I know, they are not interchangeable. You can get metal or plastic of either class 15 or 66. It's been a while since I shopped for bobbins, but I think if you compare the plastic class 15 and 66, there is a slight difference in the shape - one is more rounded than the other. If you think the bobbin class listed in the manual might be incorrect, I would call the shop you got the machines from just to make sure.
Kaitlinnegan - your Sew What's Up administrator
Private message me if you have questions/comments/suggestions
Please e-mail me at kaitlinnegan@gmail.com if you have trouble logging in.
kaitlinnegan
Site Admin

New postby lendube on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:21 pm

I'm going by what it says on the outside of the box. I don't want to open it if I don't have to although I'm dying to. It specifies Class 15. I guess what makes me wonder is that in my two Singers, one 50 y/o and one 30 y/o I can use both, it seems. Unless I hear otherwise, I'll not give them the 66's. It would be horrible if I was responsible for problems. As far as I can tell the machine only includes one bobbin and that seems difficult to me. To buy the right kind I'd have to drive over two hours round trip for just that since we're wrapping the gifts tomorrow. :roll:

Thanks, Kaitlin.
Lennie

lendube

New postby bridesmom on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Lennie, I found this on the net - it's from Dritz

Bobbins are an essential part of good stitch formation. It's important to use the right bobbin in your sewing machine. The purpose of a bobbin is to hold the bobbin thread. The bobbin thread interlocks with the top thread to form a stitch.

The bobbin case holds the bobbin and the bobbin thread. It must be free of lint, dirt and rust so it can release the bobbin thread evenly. There are two standard types of bobbin cases: Removable (oscillating) and top drop-in.

There are two standard types of bobbins: Class 15 for Removable (oscillating) bobbin cases and Top Drop-In Bobbin Cases and Class 66 for Top Drop-in Bobbin Cases.

Bobbins have a notch on the inside opening. This locks the bobbin onto the bobbin winder. The hole on top of the bobbin enables thread to be fed from inside the bobbin to the outside so it can be held taut when starting to wind the bobbin.

Selecting Bobbins:

Always replace a bobbin with the same type. If the sewing machine came with a plastic bobbin, only a plastic bobbin should be used. Using a metal bobbin could interfere with proper feeding of the thread. Machines with metal bobbins can sometimes take a plastic bobbin. Always test to make sure the tension and stitch formation are satisfactory.
The edges of bobbins should be smooth. Burs and nicks will affect thread tension and can cause the thread to break.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby MartySews2 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:15 pm

Lennie, both Hancock Fabrics & JoAnn Fabrics sell Class 15 bobbins & they are very inexpensive especially when notions are 50% off. The regular price is $1.29 for 4 Dritz Class 15 bobbins. Not sure if this will help you or not. I have some packages of Class 15 bobbins that I can send you for the girls if you need me to do so. Just let me know. You can PM your address if you want me to do this.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby lendube on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Thanks for the offer, Marty, but problem solved. My ds just called me and had them in his hands and is ready to pay at a WalMart way north of here. He's on his way home from visiting friends. Something like .97 for a package of four. Wish my Viking's bobbins were so cheap. They're over a dollar a piece! I've bought them online cheaper though.

Thanks, everyone! Good info, Laura. We tend to take our little bobbins for granted, don't we, and they're so very important! :D I made pincushions (like the one I made myself except not for the wrist) for them today and tomorrow the gifts get wrapped and wait for the parents to pick them up. It's been fun.
Lennie

lendube

New postby HeyJudee on Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:43 pm

Lennie you've certainly done a great job for these kids. Congrats to you!
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby bridesmom on Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:12 pm

I bet that was fun to do. I have done Christmas shoeboxes in the past and have a blast finding all the little things to put inside them. Don't know why I didn't do it this year, I guess things just got away from me the past month. What a sweetie Kevin is to stop and pick up bobbins for you! Rob probably would have choked on his coffee if I would have asked him to do that! :lol:
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom

New postby lendube on Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:48 pm

Although Kevin would do it in a heartbeat, Laura, it was my son, Brian, that picked up the bobbins. He doesn't blink twice either. Now why would Rob have a problem with it? Silly Rob. You can tell him I said so! :D

Thanks, Judy. It was fun. Just got back from all of the wrapping. There were four of us ladies all wrapping what we'd bought. Oooo, the gossiping going on! I tell you!
Lennie

lendube

New postby HeyJudee on Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:53 pm

lendube wrote:Thanks, Judy. It was fun. Just got back from all of the wrapping. There were four of us ladies all wrapping what we'd bought. Oooo, the gossiping going on! I tell you!

Hey Lennie...did you include a gift certificate...for sewing lessons from Lennie!!! :D
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

Next

Return to Sewing Machines