Emergency advice needed please!

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Re: Emergency advice needed please!

New postby lendube on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:29 am

Thanks so much, ladies. I've made notes. I've also got a call in to that dealer I was dealing with re: my serger. A saleswoman there and I got along nicely so I called her yesterday and told her what I was doing. She was going to talk to the owner. She was so excited about it. I'll be in touch with her this morning so we'll see. I sure don't expect an outright donation but who knows? ;) I've got a few more days to take care of all of this too. Thanks and I'll keep you all posted.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby momquilts on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:51 pm

Lennie check the upcoming Joann Fabrics sales flyer. They have a machine for $50. Can't remember at this moment which brand it is (thinking maybe Singer) and not sure if it is good quality, but I thought of you when I got my flyer today. Good luck in your search.
momquilts

New postby KaJoyDa51 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:21 pm

I do alterations and at our shop we use the regular Brother from Walmart, Myself I dont like the singer with the top drop in bobbin. We have had the most trouble with them. We do a lot of stitching on the brothers and price is not so bad. On the basic machine all the kinds of stitching are on that you usually use. As we all know almost all new machines have plastic gears and stuff in them. My favorite machine is an old Kenmore my Aunt gave me and is so old but has the drop in design disks that you load in top. Does beautiful botton holes and wouldn't even try to say how many miles of stitches done on it. I have had it for 30 years so dont know how old it is LOl! My daughter doesnt care about sewing, but have granddaughter that is in sewing room with me when ever she gets a chance.
KaJoyDa51

New postby lendube on Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:00 pm

Hi everyone and thanks again for your input. Feel free to give me more when you see what I've been offered.

I told the lady at the sewing store that I had $130.00 total for each girl, tax included. She talked to the manager and offered me two Brother CE-4000's plus some basic sewing supplies. She said they retail for $149.00, the Brothers. Looking online they seem to go for more than that as well. At first I thought well, that's not too good a deal since she led me to believe that they would almost GIVE me the machines but on second thought I think it's a good deal. These machines seem great and way more than an 11 y/o girl needs to get started and I'm so, so, so hoping that it's not a "passing fancy" on either girl's parts. If it is then I hope the machines find a good home down the line. By the same token if they start with a good machine they're much less likely to have problems and will tend to enjoy sewing and stick with it, right? I already bought the girls a $2.99 pattern for pajamas and also one other thing on their list since I didn't want it ALL to be sewing which means I'll have to kick in about $30.00 of my own money but that's no big deal.

Any one know this machine? I know we have some Brother lovers. Hey, our newest member for one!
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:34 am

Lennie, that is such a nice sewing machine for the girls. I love that it comes with seven different types of presser feet too. It is very similar to the Babylock machine that I take to guild & classes. If your budget will allow, please get them some type of carrying case for the machine or you make them one if you have time. Let us know how the girls like the machines & how they progress with their sewing projects. Buying from the dealer will allow them to take lessons too.
Yay for Lennie!!! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby DorothyL on Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:47 am

It sounds like a great deal to me.

Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby sewingmom on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:22 am

I am happy that you found such a great deal. I have found a couple of boys whose Dad died 6 mo ago. The mom works in a convience store. One of the children has been in our xray dept. twice recently with a respiratory illness. I am going to solicit my co-workers for grocery Idems and gift Items for them. I need to talk to their Mom soem more and see what their situation is. Thanks for posting this. You are an inspiration.
sewingmom

Previous

Return to Sewing Machines