New Machine! Brother SQ9000

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

New Machine! Brother SQ9000

New postby temom on Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:15 pm

Yesterday I spent an hour and a half at my sewing area, but didn't sew a stitch. I spent the whole time trying to figure out what is wrong with dd's featherweight. After the hour and a half, I took her to the big box store. We picked out a Brother SQ 9000, and I have to say that I'm envious! I have a Viking Platinum 770, and boy oh boy, this little brother is nice!

It has a bunch of different feet, including a dual feed foot (I spent $100 on mine), a free motion quilting foot, and just about anything else you would want. It is so easy to use, has about 90 different stitches, and very simple to use monograming. It has an extension table for quilting, and the button holes look easier to do on this machine than mine!

DD had to go to work with me, and she took her new machine and set up shop in my office. She had a blast! She checked out most of the stitches, and even made a little tissue holder for her purse. Both of us are very happy with this machine, and she has promised me that I can use it sometime!

Oh, she also helped pay for it. She gave 30% of her savings, and paid a whole $1.00 - The kid needs to figure out how to earn more money, lol!
Theresa
temom

Re: New Machine! Brother SQ9000

New postby HeyJudee on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:29 pm

temom wrote:The kid needs to figure out how to earn more money, lol!

Congrats on the machine for DD...but be careful...she might figure on charging you to use it! ;)
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:20 pm

Theresa, the machine is very similar to my Babylock X-scape which has been a great machine for classes & my sewing ministry. I hope that your daughter will get a lot of enjoyment from her new machine. Seems like it will be very good. Did the extension table come with it? I don't have an extension table for mine but then don't really have a need for it. I don't have a walking/dual feed foot for mine either but then I primarily sew on my Pfaff which does have a dual feed. I hope you will keep the Featherweight & get it repaired at some point. I really do wish that I had one.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby temom on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:32 am

Marty, it did come with the extension table, something I've wished that I had, as I've noticed sometimes the weight of the fabric pulls during sewing.
We will absolutely keep the featherweight. I'm hoping to do some on line research and see if I can fix it. Otherwise I'll take it in, but the cost of that will be half the cost of her new machine :o .
Theresa
temom

New postby MartySews2 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:07 am

Theresa, I so know the cost of machine repairs. I paid $180 for a basic service & clean on my Pfaff 7570 & $140 for my serger. Here it is a basic $60-75 an hour for servicing machines. I try to do the basics at home as I bought a repair manual online for mechanical machines. There is a vintage Singer group on yahoo that may be able to give you info on how to fix your machine yourself. I know that I found groups for my old Pfaff 1371 & my Kenmore 7501 machine. A lot of knowledgeable people are willing to share their expertise. Good luck & congrats to your daughter.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby lendube on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:54 am

Checked out the reviews and people LOVE that machine. (There are a couple that don't but it sounds like user error if you ask me :roll: ) What a good deal and how lucky for your dd. You're a good mom.
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby bridesmom on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:31 pm

Theresa, a very cheap and easy way of making an extension for your sewing table is here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS25v3ZTk0
I don't use all the pieces when I am doing a smaller quilt, I just use one 4x4 sheet of styrofoam with the plastic tablecloth on top and it works just find. Works like a charm and is sew much cheaper in price.
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

New postby temom on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:49 pm

Laura, that is very cool! I had tried it with a few smaller pieces of foam, but they kept sliding all over the place, squeaking away as they slid. This is so much better! Thank you!
Theresa
temom

Return to Sewing Machines