Pain in the butt

Troubleshoot a problem or get machine recommendations.

Pain in the butt

New postby bridesmom on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:18 pm

I have been busy making three art quilts and I'm sewing through 1-2 layers of cotton, lightweight fusible interfacing and a med weight muslin. The cotton has been spray adhesived down. So I'm doing my machine freemotion embroidery and as soon as I start to go in reverse my bobbin thread won't catch the upper thread and it all messes up. Any one have any ideas what is happening. I tried doing it with a new needle, cleaned out the bobbin case, checked for any junk inside. It was working perfectly fine, for a while. I tried a different machine, but I hate trying to freemotion on it, it's so awkward and this machine is just horrible to sew on, it's my MIL's Janome Emerald something and if I could sell it, It would be out of my house, I hate this machine. So that leaves me trying to fight with my Brother who won't freemotion backwards now. Any ideas what else to try??
Laura
Go Canucks!
Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage
bridesmom
2008/2009 Stash Challenge Winner

Re: Pain in the butt

New postby HeyJudee on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Hummm...You've tried everything I would have thought of. Have you rethreaded the top? What type of thread are you using? What size needle? If you do regular sewing is everything OK going backwards and forwards? Is your presser foot down when you are sewing? :think:
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby MartySews2 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:03 pm

I've heard that one has to loosen the upper tension when doing FMQ or decorative stitches. Since I'm not a quilter, I really don't have any advice except check your tension settings.
Marty ;)
Brighten each corner where you are ... smile!
MartySews2

New postby lendube on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:22 pm

This is a toughie, Laura. Figure it out yet? When my machine won't pick up the bobbin thread it's invariably because the bobbin thread is too short at the case but since you're already moving along and just switching to backwards so it doesn't apply. Are you using a quilting needle? Thread you're used to? Hey, just throwing it out there. You know FAR more about this than I do............ :roll:
Lennie

The Man who says it can't be done should not Interrupt the Woman doing it.
lendube

New postby HeyJudee on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:01 pm

I know I had the same thing happen to me and I was so frustrated...but for the life of me can't seem to remember what the final solution was. It think it was a piece of thread stuck somewhere in the bobbin area. I know I took it apart a few times and cleaned and cleaned. :think:
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby DorothyL on Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:15 am

When my machine got goofy and kept clunking and breaking thread I did all the usual things three or four times before it finally spit out a three or four inch piece of thread from the bobbin area and started working right.
Dorothy
DorothyL

New postby bridesmom on Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:16 am

Well, go figure! Today I sat down with a little quilt sandwich to practice on and the blinkity blinking machine sewed just fine. I'm thinking it's the 505 spray, so I think I'll let the adhesived fabric sit for a few days before attempting it again. But I did get my sewing room cleaned up today because I didn't think I could sew. Just have to vacumm tomorrow and then back at it!
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

New postby HeyJudee on Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:49 am

bridesmom wrote:I'm thinking it's the 505 spray, so I think I'll let the adhesived fabric sit for a few days before attempting it again.

Did you just spray baste then attempt to quilt it? When I spray baste, I always wait overnight before quilting.
TTFN from Canada
Judy
HeyJudee

New postby LeapFrog Libby on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:27 pm

I heard some expert on one of the quilting programs say something about the quilting and waiting to sew after using that spray stuff.. She said it would really gum up the works if you used too much or if it was too damp when you started..
Sew With Love
Libby
LeapFrog Libby

New postby bridesmom on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:47 pm

It was within a few hours, :roll: :oops: . I have learned a lesson I believe! Maybe tomorrow night I can try to work on it again.
Laura
Go Canucks!
bridesmom

Return to Sewing Machines